hi, so i have heard of the thing when you pour some vinegar on like a rock for example to test something, but please help remind me what that tells you as i used to know it but it has left my mind....
sorry kind of a newby question but thank is given to all help provided.
I believe its to test alkalinity(calcium?) content as the vinegar is an acid, it will react with any bases in the rock, alkalinity in the rock will probably raise the ph of your water. Will let someone else chime in and confirm or correct my answer.
It is to test whether the rock will influence Ph or not.... If the vinegar fizzes then the rock has basic elements in it. The problem is that if it doesn't fizz, that's not a guarantee that it won't...
Some rocks are safe and easily identifiable, post a pic and maybe we'll know what it is. If I find some good clean slate or lava rock outside, I sometimes use it.
If I'm not sure what it is, I don't.
Plus besides ph, you have to worry about heavy metals in the rock...
The problem with vinegar is that it is a relatively weak acid--after all, you can consume it. A better acid is the Regent #2 in the nitrate test kit; a couple drops will work, if it fizzes the rock is calcareous and will raise hardness and pH to some degree depending upon the rock, how much, and the tank.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2