Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   invert question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/invert-question-4507/)

Enzo 03-25-2007 04:50 AM

invert question

What other kinds of inverts or creatures besides fish shrimp and frogs are available for freshwater aquariums that don't harm little fish?

The Dude 03-25-2007 07:43 AM

snails and i believe freshwater clams. freshwater crabs are iffy

leifthebunny 03-25-2007 12:26 PM

I've heard different things about the freshwater crabs. My LFS guarantees that crabs will sneak out of the tank where some of the sites I read, they have never seen the crabs out of the tanks. I like lobsters (crawfish), but if you do bottom feeders and plants, they tend to get destructive.

There are a wide variety of snails out there that are pretty useful for cleaning the tank as well, just stay away from the pond snails as they are too prolific and will eat the plants. Though snails can be kept in check by controlling food as well as keeping the right fish.

musho3210 03-25-2007 12:26 PM

ive heard bad stories of clams, use red cherry shrimp.

Enzo 03-25-2007 08:21 PM

I was thinking about cherry shrimp. I can't keep many algea eaters because I've never actually seen any algea in my tank.

leifthebunny 03-25-2007 08:34 PM

Use algae wafers. Just break it up into small pieces. Plus, it's entertaining watching the shrimp try to swim off with the pieces.

musho3210 03-25-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny
Use algae wafers. Just break it up into small pieces. Plus, it's entertaining watching the shrimp try to swim off with the pieces.

you'd be surprised how strong they are, one of my ghost shrimp took half an algae wafer to itself and swum around the tank with it, it was the same size if not bigger than the shrimp, sheesh i could have just given it another piece if it didnt get anything :roll:

leifthebunny 03-25-2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny

you'd be surprised how strong they are, one of my ghost shrimp took half an algae wafer to itself and swum around the tank with it, it was the same size if not bigger than the shrimp, sheesh i could have just given it another piece if it didnt get anything :roll:

Oh, they can do it, just clumsily. :D

GalaxyGirl 03-25-2007 11:18 PM

Haha, my ammano shrimp carry there pieces of algae wafers around the tank too! I dropped a fourth in front of the new coconut cave, and the shrimp who has claimed it as his took the piece straight away into the cave. My poor cory tried to swim in there to grab it, but the opening is only big enough for the shrimp haha.