Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   thinking of a pico type... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/thinking-pico-type-45063/)

bearwithfish 06-13-2010 08:10 PM

thinking of a pico type...

so i have got things in the big tak going in a positive direction at last and i was thinking that it would be fun to consider plans on a pico type tank in the future .. i have a nice little 2 gallon with lid and light fixture... i have rock in my sump that is growing some great pods and beautiful coraline on it..
i guess i want to talk about what to keep in it aside fromthe rock and CUC (1 crab and 2 snails most likely or 2 and 2 i dont know yet) but what is good for a pico type? just corals or are there inverts that would do well in a small tank such as this????

onefish2fish 06-14-2010 06:30 AM

although i have no experience with, but always wanted a sexy shrimp - i think one and some coral would be nice setup but please keep in mind the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep. things get real HOT fast in such a small set up, esp. with the lights it requires to keep corals. then at night temps will drop, so a heater and more then likely small chiller will be needed. your also going to want something small for water circulation too. im not saying it cant be done, but it sure is a challenge. personally i would suggest you focus on your main display and getting that to run flawless before you branch out with other tanks but thats just my suggestion.

bearwithfish 06-14-2010 06:59 AM

oh i agree fully i guess i posted more for a conversation on the topic rather than making an actual plan... i mean even if i do often turn to planning i am on some level just carrying on.... i have no real intention of starting one untill things are smooth with the DT.. so far so good there (since rebounding started).. again just wanted to talk about the Pico and see whats involved......

bearwithfish 07-07-2010 12:46 PM

so lets revive this.. for further discussion.... i was thinking about it again as a side project to mess with and if it came out good perhaps sell it off or keep it for one of my kids.... (my little one loves the 50 gallon and wants her own tank again - you know her room , my effort LOL).. so i am looking around and found a few potential tanks at the house (2.5, 5.5, 5 bow, or a 10) i think the 5 bow will look best and it already has a fixture i can put 50/50 bulbs in.. but i think the 5.5 would be easiest to convert to an AIO... if i do go with the 5.5 i would need to make a hood and put in a grow bulb or a 50/50 type... any thoughts here .. again just an idea i like to toss around from time to time .. and with the rock i have doing so well i would not have to purchas much if anything at all aside from lights..

coolcar24th 07-08-2010 02:28 PM

I love the idea of a pico tank hence why I started my own. Just like any salt tank, the bigger the better. So I would go with the 5.5 or the 10. Although the 10 wouldnt really quite be a pico anymore. Anyhow aslong as your ontop of your water changes you should be fine. Since you have a larger established tank it should be easier for you to get coral and sand and let it cycle. As far as fish really the only kind of fish you can put in it would be smaller breeds of gobies, blennies and damsels.

bearwithfish 07-08-2010 02:37 PM

actually was considering going with shrimp only or shrimp and snails.... perhaps a few fraggs fromthe DT once i get that far.. again just in concept stage at this point... still getting the big tank under way...