Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Oscar Habitat (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscar-habitat-44984/)

Zeetrain 06-12-2010 05:13 PM

Oscar Habitat

I was thinking of possibly getting an Albino Tiger Oscar some time in the future. I was wondering what kind of habitat I should set the tank up like? What kinda of live plants do they like? I have a feeling they would like driftwood. Rocks?

EDIT - Also wondering if I had it alone in a tank and the room it was in was always in the low 70s could I keep its tank without a heater?

rrcoolj 06-13-2010 03:19 PM

Oscars live in farily high temps so no to the room temp question. As for habitat, just drfitwood with some small rocks. You might be able to do durable plants like java fern and java moss but that's about it. Oscars really will destroy foilage unless you have a very large tank.

Zeetrain 06-13-2010 05:18 PM

Thanks for the post.

iamntbatman 06-18-2010 05:56 AM

I really like setups for cichlids like this with a nice, varied floor with lots of smooth river rocks, including some big ones, with some big pieces of driftwood for the fish to swim around. Live plants are probably going to get torn up; you could try silk plants but I'd recommend the kind with the heavy, weighted bases so that when the oscar moves them, they'll at least resemble being planted rather than just being strewn around the tank haphazardly.

Magzmoir 06-18-2010 08:27 AM

HeHe ye Ive heard Oscars have theor own tastes when it comes to interior design :rofl:

Another thing you could try that looks good is Java fern thats already attached to some drift wood, most fish dont like the taste of Java fern and its one of those plants thats almost indestructable, it can be quite pricey tho Ive found its cheaper online than buying it from a lfs.

Of course never having owned Oscars before I dunno if they would just see that as a challenge lol

Bluetangclan 06-18-2010 10:27 AM

LOL which environment? They are found these days across the southern part of the US in addition to where ever they are from originally. Unless your room temp is normally in the 60s I do not think anywhere in the 70s would be bad. I know they are in a lake up in GA and wouldnt be surprised if they experience temps in the mid 60s. Its kinda hard to treat oscars bad. Just for the love of god, dont feed them feeder goldfish.

rrcoolj 06-18-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetangclan (Post 407314)
LOL which environment? They are found these days across the southern part of the US in addition to where ever they are from originally. Unless your room temp is normally in the 60s I do not think anywhere in the 70s would be bad. I know they are in a lake up in GA and wouldnt be surprised if they experience temps in the mid 60s. Its kinda hard to treat oscars bad. Just for the love of god, dont feed them feeder goldfish.

Uhhh... That's(for your information) not thier natural habitat :roll:. Anyways oscars are actually not EASY to take care of. They eat a ton of food and need heavy filteration. Feeders are fine just not feeder GOLDFISH. If you want to use feeders breed your own. Convict cichlids aswell as livebearers are great for this. Have very good filteration and a heavy water change schedule. They have a massive bioload.

Bluetangclan 06-18-2010 07:35 PM

I know its not normal, but thats where I have seen them in the wild and read about them. I am guessing Central America is their original location. When i used to work in a fish store we called them ghetto cichlids because thats the fish all the guys with gold teeth wanted and or had and wanted feeder goldfish to give them and they would talk about how fast their oscars gobbled them up. My advise on food is frozen food or pellets, stay away from live food if you can help it because you will never get them back on prepared food after live(I use the term "never" loosely and not as an absolute). Be different and get the blue oscars if you can find them, they look awesome. You might look at Jack dempsies or jade Carpinthus as well or instead, both are much more beautiful fish.

rrcoolj 06-18-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetangclan (Post 407690)
I know its not normal, but thats where I have seen them in the wild and read about them. I am guessing Central America is their original location. When i used to work in a fish store we called them ghetto cichlids because thats the fish all the guys with gold teeth wanted and or had and wanted feeder goldfish to give them and they would talk about how fast their oscars gobbled them up. My advise on food is frozen food or pellets, stay away from live food if you can help it because you will never get them back on prepared food after live(I use the term "never" loosely and not as an absolute). Be different and get the blue oscars if you can find them, they look awesome. You might look at Jack dempsies or jade Carpinthus as well or instead, both are much more beautiful fish.

Oscars are actually from south america. I believe the amazon river basin as well as other places.

Zeetrain 06-20-2010 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the replys. why is it bad to feed them goldfish?