Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Identifing crispus (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/identifing-crispus-44972/)

LoganLennox 06-12-2010 03:04 PM

Identifing crispus

HI all, I had 2 crispus plants special ordered from a LFS and now i'm wondering how can i get the plants to spread or get more plants from them. I'm concerned that the plants I got is not what I wanted, while it is still in the family I think it may be a sterile hybrid and not actually a flowering crispus. Does any one know how to tell if it is a hybrid or not, other than the flower? If it is a hybrid can I split the roots and get them to grow that way?

Calmwaters 06-12-2010 03:13 PM

Do you have a picture? I do not know about this particular plant but it may help others help you if they can see the plant.;-)

Sweet Aquatics 06-12-2010 04:08 PM

The aponogeton crispus in my opinion is the easiest and most prolific reproducers. That being said how long have you had the aponogeton and has it flowered yet? I am assuming it has not. There are hybrid crispus in the hobby and yes the are sterile and do not flower. I have many crispus and they flower and reseed constantly. The hybrids can be split up to make multiple plants.
Hope this helps
Dan

LoganLennox 06-12-2010 08:47 PM

A few pics

3 Attachment(s)
I just took these pics and I don't know if they'll be much help. I got them a little over a month ago and they were almost dead so they basically died to roots and came back to life very quickly. The leaves form like green sticks and then over night they sprout and grow inches every night. They're mostly bright green but old leave turn brown and die. A full sized leaf is about 20+ inches. I like the plant... just want to make more to fill in the corner.

Calmwaters 06-12-2010 08:52 PM

Oh I have that in one of my tanks I just did not know what it was called. LOL I really like the squiggly leaves on them. Now I know what the are called I can get more for my other tanks.
Amanda

LoganLennox 06-12-2010 09:40 PM

I love the plant too but I want to make more of them... Any help identifing if its a flowering type or a sterile hybrid would be appreciated.

Sweet Aquatics 06-13-2010 12:15 AM

The plant could be a true crispus. If it does not flower in a few weeks then it is most likely a hybrid. The only difference between the true plant and hybrid is the true flowers.

LoganLennox 06-13-2010 11:04 AM

ok cool... but if its growing so rapidly do i need to provide any other requirements for flowering? its in a dark hallway so the light is on a bit more so than it use to be just to get the full daylight range but other than that all my paramiters seem to be at a stable range for the fish/plants.

Sweet Aquatics 06-13-2010 11:52 AM

The Crispus is very easy to flower. Nothing special is required to do so. Plant it and give it some light and it flowers. I keep mine in a 55 gallon covered in floating plants with a suspended shop light and they flower often.
Dan

LoganLennox 06-13-2010 01:49 PM

Cool, thanks for the help :) If all I got to do is wait and see then I don't think that'll be too hard at all! I hope it does flower... something pretty in the tank :D