Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Had an accident... fry popped out lol (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/had-accident-fry-popped-out-lol-44948/)

AaronCombs 06-12-2010 02:39 AM

Had an accident... fry popped out lol

Yeah... I have a 100 gal tank in which I have my "adult" swordtails... then I have a 12.5 gal tank that houses my younger swordtails until they are big enough to put into the 100gal community tank. This tank has Killifish, so I don't want them to be picked on or eaten.

However not every young swordtail is one inch or less.. some a larger. But I'm allowing them to grow in this tank. Which is a long 12.5 gal tank, 9 swordtails in all in it. 4 are below an inch in size the other 5 are just over an inch in size.

I go to check on them one day, because out of no were Snails appeared in the tank, well I didn't see them before at least lol. Anyways I start poking around counting the fish to make sure non passed away. I was counting, and found more than 9 fish. This was surprising to me, as the adult fish have been out of that tank for over a week. I check on the tanks once a day. Haven't seen the fry before either.

However I have a low fry count, 4-8, so I might be wrong but one of my younger swordtails might have been prego. Or a larger one gave birth and they just were hiding. I have a lot of hiding places for fry in this tank.

I put the adults into the community tank so fry will be eatin to stop over population on swordtails (before fry I had 20 ish). When I say adults I mean the size of giant danio's. Some larger.

I'm excited for the fry, lol just wasn't expecting it.

Oh also found out, I have betta fry as well lol however only have 4.

Aaron

kitten_penang 07-09-2010 09:54 AM

congrats =) hows the fry???

AaronCombs 07-09-2010 05:57 PM

Well I didn't have any fry food... so I was kinda SOL...

Plus I did my research and it stated Betta's can have up to like 200 fry per batch. Then only a % will make it...

Anyways, I don't know how it happened but all 4 are still alive... lol... However I have crushed up Betta pellets and Blood worms mix for them to feed on.

They are about 1/2 inch in size now and are doing great (knock on wood).

Pending how many males/females I receive, the females I will keep as for males I will give them away.

I'll try more breeding once I have some more money to buy a couple 55 gal drums I'll be setting up.

kitten_penang 07-10-2010 05:18 AM

dont use the females you have and breed them with their parent's thats called inbreeding.swap them with a fren of at the lfs

AaronCombs 07-11-2010 08:49 AM

hehe, well technically I wasn't going to inbreed them. I'm setting up 2+ 55 gal barrels to hold water for water changes. I was going to keep some female betta's in them with lots of plants at the bottom, to keep healthy levels in the tank.

I might switch them out if they have some other kinds of fish, however I have to call him up and s/w him.

kitten_penang 07-13-2010 11:19 AM

=) great idea.good luck with the babies