Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   FISH EMERGENCY! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fish-emergency-4494/)

mvirata 03-24-2007 02:42 PM

FISH EMERGENCY!

HELP,

OK i have two german blue rams in a 29G. My tank specs are listed in my signature. I have no idea how to sex them but I have had them for 4 months now. I got them as teeny tiny babies. Now they are grown but not fully grown yet.

One of the rams all of a sudden starting hanging at the bottom of the tank, on the ground. He did swim around from time to time but not like before. In fact I put "the claw" in there and was able to touch him with it.

That scared me because they are usually scared of "the claw" but I only put it in there if i don't want to stick my hand in there to move something.

Over the course of 3 days his belly got HUGE. This morning I saw him and it looks like he is about to explode. I think he might be pregnant or have some weird disease and I don't know what to do.

I do have a quarantine tank but have not placed him in there yet. My fiance wants to keep the babies if indeed it is pregnant because she said the other fish would eat them. She didn't believe me when I said they would live.

Can someone identify if my fish is about to explode or having a baby. If so to keep the babies what do I do? Should I just quarantine the one fish or do I quarantine the mom and the dad in my QT tank.

any help would be appreciated.

musho3210 03-24-2007 02:50 PM

sorry to break it to you but its not pregnant, not even full of eggs. What you have here seems to be dropsy.

leifthebunny 03-24-2007 02:55 PM

To tell the difference, look at the black spot and see if there are blue spangles around the black spot. If so, it's a female, otherwise, it's a male.

mvirata 03-24-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
sorry to break it to you but its not pregnant, not even full of eggs. What you have here seems to be dropsy.

:(

I am sad to say it looks like dropsy from the pictures i saw online. i quarantined him but all i have for meds is melafix and i believe only antibiotics could possibly save him.

Man this sucks because he was my favorite fish in both my tanks. Well he is still hovering in the bottom and defintely not the healthy swimmer he once was. Maybe by some miracle he can make it out alive. its out of my hands now i am doing the best i can do to save him.

leifthebunny 03-24-2007 10:55 PM

Best of luck.

mvirata 03-25-2007 11:51 AM

DEAD

:(

leifthebunny 03-25-2007 11:53 AM

That sucks. :( Sorry to hear about your loss.

Falina 03-25-2007 03:27 PM

sorry to hear that. its always upsetting to loose a fish as i have only today felt the same :cry:

at least hes not suffering anymore - thats the only consolation