Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Lighting/chem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/lighting-chem-44883/)

cpl corndog 06-11-2010 02:17 AM

Lighting/chem

OK so not sure where to post this so I'll do it here. I've been having problems with my corals, not sure if it is with the lighting or the water. I first noticed it about two months ago. I transferred over all my corals from my 55 gallon with compact lights to my 150 with medal halides. As soon as that took place all corals opened up but never started growing, they actually got smaller and started dying. Now I have been testing my water like every two days, I found all my levels off--
Nitrites-.50PPM
Nitrates-20PPM
Ammonia-.50PPM
Phosphates-.50PPM
PH-8.3-8.6
Calcium - 440
KH- 17

Since I tested that I have done 3 40-Gallon water changes in the past 2 weeks, and now got my levels somewhat normal--
Nitrites-0PPM
Nitrates-10-15PPM
Ammonia-0PPM
Phosphates-.25-.50PPM
PH-8.0-8.3
Calcium - 400
KH- 10

I was able to save 3 of the 12 corals I had :cry: and only one is doing better then it was before. One (the brain) has lost is red color and is total white, but really think and pumped up. The other which is like a frog spawn has retracted in and is not coming out, but is not dead yet. I have a clam and it looks as nothing happened in the tank, and all my fish are great. So I'm not sure what is going on and don't want to put anything in till i understand it. I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I'll post some before and after pictures so you can see what is going on.

Please ask anything you need to make a great educated guess to the problem :-D

bearwithfish 06-11-2010 07:44 AM

1st off welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad you are here...
i have a few questions..
do you run a skimmer?
a sump? (is the skimmer in the sump?)
what additives do yu use and how often?
what is the flow like in your tank?
and what is the population in your tank?

i know not all of these seem relevant however i just want to get a clear picture.... even if i can not help some one else may want to know all of this so i figured get it out front you know??

oh and have you done an intro in the new members section? i am sure every one will have lots of questions for you... welcome again :) :) :)

wake49 06-11-2010 08:15 AM

How long was the 150 up before you added the corals to it? Was it to immature of a tank and maybe had a little chaos in the water parameters?

My best theory is that the sudden light change between the PC's and MH's shocked the corals (along with moving all of them at the same time, I assume?) and you had a little chemical warfare. The elevated Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia levels were a result of the polyps dying and breaking down, IMO. If everything is starting to settle just watch your levels daily (get that Ca back up to 450) and maintain. I wouldn't suggest large water changes again, but rather try smaller ones, like I do about ten gallons a week/ every other week just to maintain trace elements...

cpl corndog 06-11-2010 10:55 AM

I uploaded some pictures so please take a look for me in albums.

aunt kymmie 06-11-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpl corndog (Post 402398)
I uploaded some pictures so please take a look for me in albums.

Nice looking tanks!

eileen 06-11-2010 05:47 PM

I love your tanks! I always wanted to do a saltwater but was afraid to start a tank as I do not know much about saltwater tanks. I used to live in Tracy, California. I lived in the Glenbriar Estates area of Tracy before moving here in San Diego.

cpl corndog 06-11-2010 06:50 PM

Eileen thx for the comment, Hope your enjoying San Diego better then Tracy, lol. I think you should get a saltwater tank, once they are up and running and as long as you do a little maintenance they are great and easy to keep.

OK to respond to Bearwithfish,
yes I run a skimmer in my sump, and i just started adding additives about 3 weeks ago (trace elements, minerals and calcium) I do this about 2 times a week. When I first started I had this tank going to about 5 months and did not add anything but coral fuel, so maybe that is one of the reasons why things went bad. I think my flow is somewhere around 3200GPH but not total sure cause I got the pump with the tank and have no idea what kind it is due to the fact all the stickers and writing is gone. Also my tank has only about 8 fish all about 1-3 inches and 1 6 in claim, and three corals, so it is low population right now. I hope this helps. Thanks for the help guys and girls.

cpl corndog 06-11-2010 06:52 PM

Thanks wake49 I think I'll start that this week do about 10-15 gallon water change. And I hope it was shock cause i do not want to lose 8oo dollars again =(

bearwithfish 06-11-2010 10:38 PM

i think wake is right about the shock.... from everything you put out there all looks good ATM.... and i took a look at your tank.. WOW that is an incredible tank i am sooooooooo jealous LOL