Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   29 gal...convicts (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/29-gal-convicts-44807/)

otgarza 06-10-2010 01:03 AM

29 gal...convicts

I have my 29 gallon tank setup with two tiny convicts and one older convict. I also have a pleco in there and aside from that I only have the gravel. Any suggestions as to where I should go after this?
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 06-10-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otgarza (Post 401290)
I have my 29 gallon tank setup with two tiny convicts and one older convict. I also have a pleco in there and aside from that I only have the gravel. Any suggestions as to where I should go after this?
Posted via Mobile Device

See your post from October 2009 regarding tankmates for convicts.

otgarza 06-10-2010 11:17 AM

Well I'm not really worried about tankmates rite now I'm gonna keep the convicts alone for awhile. But I was looking for whether I should go for live plants or artificial and what is recommended to have in the tank for the convicts.
Posted via Mobile Device

rrcoolj 06-10-2010 02:05 PM

I always try to go with live and I suggest that you do the same. As long as they are hardy like java fern and anubias you will be fine. But fake plants will do the job also I suppose if you are really not interested in the whole live plant thing.

otgarza 06-10-2010 02:31 PM

I've always done the artificial plants and I think I'm gonna try and get a live plant in there jus to start. I've heard the java fern is the best with convicts all I gotta do is find it now. Is there anything special I have to do before I get a live plant?
Posted via Mobile Device

rrcoolj 06-10-2010 10:22 PM

I have never done anything. Just attach it too some driftwood and or rocks and wait. It will take forever to grow but once it does it looks nice. I also sugest anubias and vals too. Vals you plant in the substrate and the convict could dig it up but I have found if you put rocks around the plants the fish won't dig them up.

otgarza 06-11-2010 12:19 AM

Yeah I've had my convict dig up the artificial plants. I think as soon as I find one of those plants ill get it planted in the tank. Thanks for the help! Ill keep you guys informed as I stock my tank up
Posted via Mobile Device

iamntbatman 06-11-2010 05:31 AM

Java fern is pretty indestructible and would be at or near the top of my list of plants I'd try with notorious plant destroyers like convicts.

Zeetrain 06-12-2010 12:11 AM

A peice of driftwood for the pleco would be good.

otgarza 11-03-2010 07:48 PM

now its 3-4 months later and i have 4 convicts in the 29 gallon and the stripped ones have bred. there isnt many problems going on it the tank and they all get along pretty well. i now have a piece of driftwood, 2 java ferns, and anubias. the tank is going along great and i want to thank you guys for your help!

thanks! i will post pics up soon