Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Should I increase my water changes now that I added more fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/should-i-increase-my-water-changes-44802/)

Lisalis 06-10-2010 12:19 AM

Should I increase my water changes now that I added more fish?

I have an established 30 g freshwater tank. Quite healthy. I had 2 Pink kissing gouramis, 3 mollies, 1 platy (That I thought was a molly thanks to my LFS...LOL) 2 zebra danios, 3 bleeding heart tetras, 1 white tetra, a panda cory, and my pleco. I do a 10 g water change weekly and vacuum the gravel. I recently brought home 4 mores zebras and 2 more mollies. Should I do more frequent water changes?

jpbotha 06-10-2010 12:37 AM

Im of the opinion that if you stick to your weekly changes, it will be fine. If you check your water parameters it will also give you an indication whether your water changes is sufficient.

iamntbatman 06-10-2010 05:40 AM

Agreed, but there are some stocking issues that jump out at me. The gouramis and your pleco (if it's a common pleco or another large species) are going to outgrow a 30g tank in relatively short order and will need a larger tank to accommodate them. Some of the other species (the danios, tetras and corydoras) are schooling species that need to be in groups of 5-6 or more in order to thrive. You have a good number of danios now, but the tetras and corydoras would be better off in larger groups. Unfortunately, your tank is already very heavily stocked so adding more to these numbers could be problematic.

What's your pH and hardness? The platies and mollies prefer hard, basic water while the other fish prefer softer, acidic water. You might have water parameters that are something of a compromise, but if your water is more toward the extremes, I might be inclined to rehome the fish not suited for the water and increase the school sizes of the remaining fish.

JohnnyD44 06-10-2010 10:01 AM

+1 on Batman's post,

I would be hesitant to add any more fish to this list until you decide which way you would wanna go. batman bring up a great point that the you need to add more tetras and corries, but it problematic because you're already at capactiy right now....

My dad has two kissing gouramis in his 150G, they've only been photographed 'kissing' once!! i'd say each of them are about 6 inches long

what kind of filtration do you have?

Lisalis 06-10-2010 08:02 PM

Agreed! I have been planning on rehoming the kissers and the pleco...unless a bigger tank comes into my budget....not likely at the moment...plus I have a 10 gal cycling. I am going to be honest with you I'm pretty old school since I started my 30 gal about a year ago. I had the water tested once when I first cycled it and it's been good to go ever since. My dad taught me about keeping fw tropicals years ago but this is the first tank I have had in years. I keep up on my water changes...try not to overfeed...keep oxygen flowing and warm of course, even a bit of salt for my mollies! LOL I really want a pair of blue rams....once the kissers and the pleco are out do you think they would work with the others? I know, I know....ph and all that...LOL I am investing in a good test kit this week!!!!!!

Lisalis 06-10-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 401448)
+1 on Batman's post,

I would be hesitant to add any more fish to this list until you decide which way you would wanna go. batman bring up a great point that the you need to add more tetras and corries, but it problematic because you're already at capactiy right now....

My dad has two kissing gouramis in his 150G, they've only been photographed 'kissing' once!! i'd say each of them are about 6 inches long

what kind of filtration do you have?

My tetras seem so happy tho...lol...my white tetra usually schools with the bleeding hearts. The other white tetra was lost in a move...:(

iamntbatman 06-11-2010 05:53 AM

Blue rams are pretty fussy fish. They need to be kept at higher than usual temperatures, i.e. above the range of your danios. Some of the farm-bred ones might be able to handle a wider variety of water parameters but generally blue rams do best in soft, acidic water. For an alternative, you might want to consider the Bolivian ram. They're a similar looking fish but tolerate a wider range of water parameters.

I do definitely recommend getting yourself a liquid test kit. Most of these kits contain pH test kits (which would help with stocking your tank) as well as tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Being able to test for these three is an incredibly valuable tool during cycling but it's also nice to have access to these numbers should any problems arise. The nitrate test kit would also help give you a general idea as to whether you're doing adequate water changes or not.