Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   tetras (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/tetras-4479/)

giarc721 03-23-2007 05:15 PM

tetras

i have/had 6 cardinal tetras, and 6 red eye tetras. After the first night i woke up and 2 of the cardinals were dead, then later in the day i found one of the red eye tetras carrying another dead cardinal tetra in his mouth. Do these two species usually not get along?

GalaxyGirl 03-23-2007 06:37 PM

First off, tetras are best in schools, they get all weird if less than 6 fish are present to school with. Second, what size tank? Little tetras dont produce much biowaste, so you can fit more into a tank, but I wouldnt recommend anything less than 10 gallons. Red eyes are much bigger than cardinals, but they arent agressive, so maybe its because they dont have enough friends? Or is it a small tank? Ill let a more knowledgable member take it from here.

Edit: Dang im sorry, I thought it read 2 and 2! I need sleep...im on it as soon as I get off here.

giarc721 03-23-2007 07:21 PM

its in a 29 gallon tank and it also hosts 3 YoYo Loaches and two molly fry. Also more bad news, came home and found another cardinal dead! now there are only three left!!!

Lupin 03-23-2007 07:55 PM

Your case is similar to one of my friend's customers when his cardinals were one by one eliminated by his serpae tetras in a 20 gallons alone.:shake: I had to explain that serpaes are quite one of the most vicious tetras you'll ever get, one reason why I loathed serpaes as I had them before and did quite enough damage to make me blast them off from my tank, and they should never be mixed with smaller tetras, not even in a tank less than 30 gallons.

I am inclined to stick warning signs everywhere including the lawn that red-eye, serpaes and black widows/skirts should be banned in tanks less than 30 gallons.:roll: These are a few of the tetras that I loath even if my passion for the characins is still strong. I do not generally prefer vicious fish.:shake:

I would advise that you get another tank and this time place all the red-eye tetras by themselves. If you wish to buy more cardinals, you may do so but I would advise that larger tetras should be avoided. Other tetras you may wish to keep are rummy-nose tetras, neon tetras, diamond tetras, glowlight tetras, lemon tetras, beacon tetras, black phantom tetras and red phantom tetras.

GalaxyGirl 03-23-2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
serpaes are quite one of the most vicious tetras you'll ever get

I am inclined to stick warning signs everywhere including the lawn that red-eye, serpaes and black widows/skirts should be banned in tanks less than 30 gallons.:roll: These are a few of the tetras that I loath even if my passion for the characins is still strong. I do not generally prefer vicious fish.:shake:

So serpaes=red eyes? Why must fish have 1 million different names lol? I did some quick reading on red eyes and it didnt say anything about serpaes.

Also are black skirts really vicious? I have 3 in my 10 gallon, they arent vicious, they breathe down my corys necks once in awhile, but everybody gets a long. Is it because they are young still?

leifthebunny 03-23-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl
So serpaes=red eyes? Why must fish have 1 million different names lol? I did some quick reading on red eyes and it didnt say anything about serpaes.

Serpae = Hyphessobrycon callistus
Red Eye = Moenkhausis sanctaefilomenae

From what I have read, the Red Eye are supposedly placid while the Serpae prefer a more active tank.

Lupin 03-24-2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl

I was only citing the serpaes as examples and as a fore warning.:quiet:

Red-eye tetras are still one of the worst.:shake:

Quote:

Also are black skirts really vicious? I have 3 in my 10 gallon, they arent vicious, they breathe down my corys necks once in awhile, but everybody gets a long. Is it because they are young still?
Some are, some aren't.

Lupin 03-24-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny
From what I have read, the Red Eye are supposedly placid while the Serpae prefer a more active tank.

Depends on the fish you have and the whole environment. I would personally advise against getting serpaes and red-eyes unless you can house them in a 55 gallons where the space is large enough allowing enough room to prevent them from bothering other species of fish.

giarc721 03-24-2007 01:22 PM

well i just took all six of my red eye tetras back to the lfs and got 7 white cloud tetras along with some more cardinals. so now my tank looks like this: 7 Cardinal Tetras, 7 White Cloud Tetras, 3 Yo Yo Loaches, 2 Molly Fry. I'll keep you posted on the well being of my tetras with the change.