Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Community Tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/community-tanks-44778/)

squilky 06-09-2010 07:45 PM

Community Tanks

I notice at Petco/Petsmart, most of their display cases are 20 gallon tanks. They seem to have 2 or 3 dozen fish in each tank. A lot more when it comes to goldfish like comets. Seems to be way over the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water rule of thumb. Is it because the turnover of fish is so high at a pet store that they can get away with this? I purposely counted one of the tanks today and I counted 24 spotted Cory's in a single tank and there were other fish in with them as well. Must have been 40-50 fish in that one tank. I would think they would lose a lot of fish in such a crowded environment. I have to admit, the glow fish tank looked pretty awesome with all those pretty colors mixed together.

JohnnyD44 06-09-2010 07:48 PM

I'm sure it has something to with the turnover rate of the fish. I've seen at my LFS a 20G tank full of angelfish (maybe 30 of them) 2 days later the tank was empty....

I'm sure the other aspect as to do with the cost and room to keep bigger tanks...bigger tanks = more startup price, and also more water per tank....

If you're seriously interested, I can ask my brother, he works at Petco!

squilky 06-09-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 401001)
I'm sure it has something to with the turnover rate of the fish. I've seen at my LFS a 20G tank full of angelfish (maybe 30 of them) 2 days later the tank was empty....

I'm sure the other aspect as to do with the cost and room to keep bigger tanks...bigger tanks = more startup price, and also more water per tank....

If you're seriously interested, I can ask my brother, he works at Petco!

Yeah if you could ask your brother that would be great. I'm wondering if they have a company policy regarding the matter. Whenever I go into Petsmart, I always seem to see someone maintaining the tanks. Usually floating bags of new fish. I never seem to see that at Petco. So I wonder if they do that sort of thing after hours vs during store hours. The tanks in both locations always look very clean and well kept, so I'm not accusing them of neglect. I'm just curious as to what their secret is.

bearwithfish 06-09-2010 08:18 PM

it is turn over and lets face it people who half know will come in and think "oh thats horrible" and in order to "save them" they buy them ... it keeps the money in the business......

JohnnyD44 06-09-2010 08:21 PM

i pretty much assumed it's all about turnover. he says they never do water changes though, the constant removing water to bag fish acts as a constant water change....so he says thats easy!

squilky 06-09-2010 08:32 PM

Johnny, so do they have some sort of leveler that feeds water in to keep the volume of water consistent?
Posted via Mobile Device

zof 06-10-2010 12:09 AM

Most likely they have some sort of master filter system setup that handles alot of tanks at once, if you look at the back of the tank you should see 2 holes, an intake and an outtake which constantly feed water in an out. This is why the tanks always look like they have crystal clear water even though they stock them 10x over the home aquarium. For every gallon you see in the front there is probably at least another gallon in the back you cannot see plus the fact their master filter cleans a ton of water. This is why they can keep so many fish together and them still do ok until sold. Plus they probably have an automatic top off system so it replenishes the water taken away with the sold fish.