Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Gross question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/gross-question-44655/)

TexasTanker 06-08-2010 09:47 AM

Gross question

So I just busted my butt getting this tank ready for water. Just as the water gets about an inch above the substrate I noticed it was brown... turns out I cut the ever living crap out of my hand and bled all over. Obviously I drained it. QUESTION: DO I need to go nuts with flushing all of that? and since the water reached the filter do I need to clean that out? OR will it all be fine? By a lot I mean a one inch long cut that will need stitches, that bled for about thirty minutes into this tank....

And yes, I found what cut me, and removed it.

JohnnyD44 06-08-2010 09:53 AM

wow, I hope you're ok!

I have never gotten blood into my tank, but my first instinct would be to clean it all out again. Unless your positive that human blood will have no effect in the biological department of your tank, i'd start over.....bummer i know, but me personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry.....

aunt kymmie 06-08-2010 10:12 AM

I agree with Johnny. What ever was it in the tank that cut your hand so badly? It required stitches? Yikes. :-(

bearwithfish 06-08-2010 11:15 AM

wow i hope you are gonna be ok!!!!!!!! sorry to hear that but i would agree with JohnnyD44 and Aunt Kymmie take it down and clean it with super hot water and rebuild..i know its a pain in the back side but rather safe then wasting a ton of money then having to do it any way

TexasTanker 06-08-2010 11:16 AM

It was a shard of glass. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of cycled gravel a few months ago, there was about ten pounds left over that I put in the new tank today. I was sweeping the gravel around getting it the way I wanted it and apparently cut myself on it. I never took my hand out of the tank, so I didn't see it. Its a really clean cut so I was able to flush it with all kinds of interesting burning liquids, stop the bleeding, and put paper sutures on it. I have no idea of the affect blood would have in a normal situation, but I've got a myriad of meds in my system, I wouldn't be surprised if the fish ended up growing extra eyeballs and glowing in the dark.

I'm in the process of running water in while siphoning out. I think i'll let that keep going for an hour or so. I'm also sifting through the gravel with a sure fire light and serving fork looking for more glass. Good times.

willow 06-08-2010 11:18 AM

:shock: hope you're ok.

xrayjeeper83 06-08-2010 12:06 PM

ouch, id rather be safe and clean everything real well

aunt kymmie 06-08-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 399762)
I wouldn't be surprised if the fish ended up growing extra eyeballs and glowing in the dark.

You could probably sell fish like that for lots of money, lol.

bearwithfish 06-08-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 399801)
You could probably sell fish like that for lots of money, lol.

LOL to funny i was thinking the same reply :rofl:

TexasTanker 06-08-2010 12:57 PM

LOL $20 Three eye guppies. $50 Double gonopodium swordtails. I think I've discovered a way to pay for this.