Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Good, Strong, Hardy plants for begginners (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/good-strong-hardy-plants-begginners-44641/)

Deku 06-08-2010 02:15 AM

Good, Strong, Hardy plants for begginners

Hello, Iam new to aquatic plants.
Iam thinking of setting up an aquarium with a pair of 3 stripe mud turtles(They don't harm plants, nor are t hey clumsy, they are slow bottom walkers), maybe a doz. mosquito fish, and a pair of either pearl gourami or bitterlings. SO Please hear me out.

Iam trying to look for sturdy, beautiful, easy to keep plants. I dont want them to be messy and all over the joint. I tried anachris a couple of times, they were all over the place. The temperature of the water will be 75degrees on one end and 79degrees in the other. See it has to be warmer on one side and cooler to the other. Because turtles need it for better digestion of their foods and various other reasons. The tank wont be filled half way. It will be almost to the top. More of like 1/4 of t he water will be empty. Like Iam going to glue something in a corner so the turtles can dry dock if they want. Iam going to glue two small pieces of PVC pipes on the back for resting places and hiding places.
I would l ike plants that would cover the back, the middle, and the lower portion. You know?

Mud turtles and musk turtles are generally clean turtles. Compared to the other turtle species they are generally clean. I have kept the common eastern m usk turtle, they never attacked plants, same goes for razor backs. The tank Im thinking of buying is a 46bow front. Iam going to be using a good light for the plants. but I would like it to be low-tech. As in I dont want to go through the trouble of getting a CO2. Im getting a plant substrate, sea chem plant ferts, and a plant light but thatd be it. I also would like to add a bubble wall in the back to keep a sort of flow. I would like to use a "hang on back filter" Since they kinda seem nifty(shape is kinda cool) and they have this flow thing that goes in the water. Or sometihng of the sort. I noticed that fish tanks dont really need carbon. As long as you keep up with water changes, replace sponge every week or two. Then it should be fine. Also

Here is another stock of fish I was thinking just in case:
tetras:
congo tetras
buenos aires tetras
pearl gouramis.

I just want to set the perfect tank. I currently have another turtle. But with her, she being a strong swimmer. She messes up a nything you put in the tank. So there is no hope for a "beautiful" tank. xD Iam planing on making the water acidic because I hear acidic water prevents fungus infections in fish and turtles. I dont worry that the turtle WOULD get it. But I worry about the fish. I was also thinking maybe adding small cleaner shrimps to make sure that the tank is kept clean and such.

If anyone could pl ease help me that would be wonderful

Byron 06-08-2010 10:17 AM

Commenting solely on the plants issue, first I would not recommend a plant-type substrate. It is not necessary for the plants, and even slow-moving turtles that spend a lot of time on the bottom would have such a substrate constantly churned up. Small-grain gravel would certainly be preferable.

As for plants, the larger Echinodorus (sword) species are fairly tough. Anubias is a tough plant, it attaches to rock or wood, not in the substrate; another similar is Java Fern.

Deku 06-08-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 399698)
Commenting solely on the plants issue, first I would not recommend a plant-type substrate. It is not necessary for the plants, and even slow-moving turtles that spend a lot of time on the bottom would have such a substrate constantly churned up. Small-grain gravel would certainly be preferable.

As for plants, the larger Echinodorus (sword) species are fairly tough. Anubias is a tough plant, it attaches to rock or wood, not in the substrate; another similar is Java Fern.

Well with what I mentioned.... Can I make a tank that looks similar to yours? I kinda dont want to go for plastic on this one. Because honestly my other tank is decorated with the "nicest" fake plants and it STILL doesnt look as good as REAL plant tank. The fish I mentioned I saw on liveaquaria.com I do not want to buy from a petstore because I ussually get sick fish and for some reason I dont notice that the fish are sick until I take em outside of the store, by then I just dont like making a "scene" in a whole public setting. So anywho anywho.
The mud turtles Iam going for only reach 3 inches. Iam going to get them as hatchlings. Which would take a LONG time to grow. In a year it still willbe 1inch. Same would be untill a few years. Mud turtles are strictly scavengers, so I wanted to build a setup around them. Because if I make it against how normally they would be then yeah.I wanted to use babys tear to cover the whole bottom. You know like "grass". Or something like that. So its like a carpet. You know? I want to use black gravel, because if you notice black gravel tends to show up the plants nicely and the fish too. Especially since they are mosquito fish. I was trying to go for some natural fish that go in ponds and such. I have personally owned these types of turtles, they are mainly foragers. Would rather "walk" on the bottom than flutter like a basking turtle. I also want to use a black background to also boost the colorations. And on the sides cover it like 3-4inches. So it also looks nicer.

But I thought that the plants needed a special substrate.

Deku 06-08-2010 01:22 PM

I also wanted a couple of floating plants to make that whole diffussion of light. It looks very good. But I dont want something that will infest the tank, clog the filter, and generally be a problem. Sad part is, I cant find any floating plants for sale. Anywhere, I look they say they cant stock em.

Deku 06-08-2010 01:35 PM

I like the plant on the far left in the former 70g. The one that looks like ivy. Id like to use that on both corners of my tank. And the rest would be like the "amazonian forest" one you have.

Byron 06-08-2010 01:42 PM

I agree that regular small-grain black gravel would be the best, for the reasons you've indicated and would suit turtles (I've had other turtles with this type of gravel and they were fine). No, you don't "need" special substrates for plants. Aquatic plants assimilate nutrients through their roots and leaves, and nutrients have to be in the water column in order to be assimilated. Nutrients in the substrate leech into the water and are assimilated by the roots in the substrate. But water percolates through the substrate continuously so any nutrients added via liquid fertilizer or root tabs/sticks work just as well. I have maintained my tanks for 20 years with plain gravel.

Floating plants are a good addition; Ceratopteris (Water Sprite) is an excellent one, it will not clog filters as it is not small like say duckweed and Salvinia. Some stem plants can be kept floating, Brazilian Pennywort is good for this, it forms long "chains" of larger leaves and dangling roots, quite effective. You can see some of this in my current 90g photos; the Ceratopteris is in my current 70g SE Asian setup.

In this as in all posts, if the fish or plant name is shaded you can click it to see our profile on that species.

Byron.

redchigh 06-08-2010 02:47 PM

I would include some grasslike plants if you plan on having any current.... Vallisneria species get pretty big, if you can find some valisneria nana it might work well...My valisneria spiralis for 36 inches long.

So I guess your wanting to use Echonodorus Amazonicus ? It's the smallest sword plant species (other than chain sword, but it's more of a foreground-midground plant)

And you say the turtles don't eat plants or fish? I be they wouldn't be able to resist a couple shrimp...
Perhaps get some ghost shrimp first... They're cheap (several for a dollar, can usually get a dozen for 3 dollars or so...) great cleaners and interesting too... They can be kept in soft water (just about any shrimp can...) as long as the water has enough calcium. I drop chalk in my 5G periodically for the calcium. It doesn't really affect ph.

Tetras might be nice, definately don't want to go with mosquito fish, they like harder water.
You might have a nice setup with the turtle, a school of serpae tetra or blackskirt tetra, and some ghost shrimp...

Have you given any thought into a biotope aquarium? That might be really interesting.
What part of the world is that turtle from?

Deku 06-08-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 399895)
I would include some grasslike plants if you plan on having any current.... Vallisneria species get pretty big, if you can find some valisneria nana it might work well...My valisneria spiralis for 36 inches long.

So I guess your wanting to use Echonodorus Amazonicus ? It's the smallest sword plant species (other than chain sword, but it's more of a foreground-midground plant)

And you say the turtles don't eat plants or fish? I be they wouldn't be able to resist a couple shrimp...
Perhaps get some ghost shrimp first... They're cheap (several for a dollar, can usually get a dozen for 3 dollars or so...) great cleaners and interesting too... They can be kept in soft water (just about any shrimp can...) as long as the water has enough calcium. I drop chalk in my 5G periodically for the calcium. It doesn't really affect ph.

Tetras might be nice, definately don't want to go with mosquito fish, they like harder water.
You might have a nice setup with the turtle, a school of serpae tetra or blackskirt tetra, and some ghost shrimp...

Have you given any thought into a biotope aquarium? That might be really interesting.
What part of the world is that turtle from?

They're from southern states. Or if so I recall. Iam thinking a 46bow may not be good for the turts. Because they like longer and wider. But I still want that height. Like I want it to be atleast 3-4ft long at most and 18inch-2ft wide and the height atleast 1ft. I wanted the tank heavily stocked with plants. My friend told me not to go with a bowfront because according to him bowfronts are bad for turtles. D: Sad part is, bow fronts are Beautiful! D: I like that shape. Im trying to figure it out.