Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Help SICK Betta, new at this.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-sick-betta-new-44433/)

Michael Governale 06-05-2010 01:43 AM

Help SICK Betta, new at this....
 
Hi all, my daughter's betta is in a 2.5 gal tank with a heater, a tom internal mini filter, and a currently sprouting live plant.

We noticed today he is listless, lies at the bottom of the thank, only swims with the two frontal tiny fins, and appears to have lot some of his dep red color.... looks more goldish / orange and appears his underside / midsection looks translucent or transparret or something.

Can anyone help? I have read a little bit, learned even less, and work too much to "research" this issue.

Thanks,

mjg:-(

teddyzaper 06-05-2010 11:15 AM

can you post pictures please?

Michael Governale 06-05-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Governale (Post 397735)
Hi all, my daughter's betta is in a 2.5 gal tank with a heater, a tom internal mini filter, and a currently sprouting live plant.

We noticed today he is listless, lies at the bottom of the thank, only swims with the two frontal tiny fins, and appears to have lot some of his dep red color.... looks more goldish / orange and appears his underside / midsection looks translucent or transparret or something.

Can anyone help? I have read a little bit, learned even less, and work too much to "research" this issue.

Thanks,

mjg:-(

Yes, just gotta download software for my digital and then figure out how to upload. will do asap

aunt kymmie 06-05-2010 01:12 PM

What temp are you keeping the tank? My betta will become listless if kept in temps anything less than 80 degrees.

Michael Governale 06-05-2010 01:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Governale (Post 397921)
Yes, just gotta download software for my digital and then figure out how to upload. will do asap

see if these pics help

only recent changes are the live plant bulbs at least 5 - 7 days and the new filter, tom internal.... seems might be a bit strong... i try turning it off at night... don't know if that has anything to do with it... he actually looks a bit better today, floating, not lying on the bottom.... tried to get away from the net when i transferred him to a small bowl, til i can figure this all out... only other thing is i have switched to tetra products aqua safe instead of whatever i was using... that was a few days ago on the last wather change.

i do not do partials, i change complete about every 4 - 5 days, now with the filter a bit longer,

any advice is appreciated.

thanks
mjg

Michael Governale 06-05-2010 01:27 PM

got a cheap auto thermometer, supposed to maintain 76 + or - 2.......... but that has been for several weeks with no noticible change....

teddyzaper 06-05-2010 04:55 PM

hmmm, i would not do a whole water chane, maybe half every 4 days. leave the filter on all day and night. what is the new stuff your putting in for? is it water conditioner? if so i would use prime instead. just keep him in the display tank since he is the only thing in there and wait and see.

Michael Governale 06-05-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 398049)
hmmm, i would not do a whole water chane, maybe half every 4 days. leave the filter on all day and night. what is the new stuff your putting in for? is it water conditioner? if so i would use prime instead. just keep him in the display tank since he is the only thing in there and wait and see.

ok, thanks, so you don't think anything else? When i came home tonight he was moving around a bit, but i put some food in the water and he never even went for it. just either stayed on the bottom or floated on the top. His color looks a bit off again, second half of his body, but perhaps i never looked at him that closely.

Some orange poop on the bottom of the bowl.

Also, the new product, tetra water safe, is for conditioning, yes. i will check out prime.

will keep you posted. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Michael Governale 06-05-2010 11:39 PM

ps... how do i do a partial water change? I don't have any kind of suction equipment. Only close water source is the kitchen sink, and she would freak if i used that.... (I have seen some gravel cleaners / h20 suction pumps you hook up to the sink and turn the water on to draw water from the tank.

Michael Governale 06-05-2010 11:43 PM

pss. sorry, also, you don't think perhaps the tom internal mini filter is too much for him perhaps? It seem there are pockets of current he can stay to avoid current and rest...

Tom Aquarium Products Mini Internal Filter
Average Rating:http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830a/5_0/5/rating.gif 5 of 5 Read reviews Review this product
Product Description: Item: 3523858 Mini filter provides complete 3-stage filtration for 1 to 5 gallon aquariums.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2