Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP ! - Panda and Swartz's Corys getting attacked ! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/please-help-panda-swartzs-corys-getting-44394/)

Tobias168 06-04-2010 12:52 PM

PLEASE HELP ! - Panda and Swartz's Corys getting attacked !

Hello fellow fish keepers !

I have 6 Panda Corys and 2 Swartz's Corys , In the tank along with 3 Glass Shrimps and 2 Algae eating snails (Dunno know the name), I thought it would be nice to add some colour so I bought 6 cherry barbs (4 males and 2 females), after introducing them everything was fine all my cories schooling with each other etc, and then on the odd occasion there is 1 cherry barb in particular I had noticed. he always seems to "Nip" my cories when he "Passes by" .. im tempted to fish him out and put him in my shrimp tank as I LOVE my cories to pieces .. it's heart wrenching seeing my corries getting nipped by him as cories are so peaceful they are defenseless and never retaliate .. Its all fine when my cories are resting in there little caves but as soon as the venture out and that little rascal cherry see's them out in the open its almost like watching a baby dear sitting in front of a lion !! and now a few of my cories I can see small Nip marks on their fins .. :(

Please fish keepers what should I do ??

Forgot to post ..

It is a 29G well planted tank with Soil as substrate ... the cories had been well looked after it has been 4 months since the tank had been set up and are all really cute and chubby !!

Byron 06-04-2010 01:59 PM

From your observations there is no doubt as to the culprit, so if it were me I would remove it. Keep an eye on the rest to see, they may be fine. Sometimes this happens with shoaling fish, one will just get nippy.

I would certainly not leave things as they are; if the corys really are being bullied, as nips in their fins and not venturing out suggests they are, they will be under stress and this brings on other health issues. Corys do not tolerate medications well, so before that becomes necessary I would suggest resolving the problem. The nipped fins, provided they don't fungus, will be fine left alone.

Byron.

Tobias168 06-04-2010 08:56 PM

OK Byron, Im really scared that my cories are stressed out now !

Really kicking myself for buying these cherry barbs, as before it was solely a cory catifsh tank only, and after looking up and doing a little bit of research every website did say that these were peaceful fish ! hmmm.. maybe not !

Dont get me wrong they are very nice on the eye but just pains me to see when fish nips my cories, as I like my cories to be perfect, and hopefully the nipped fins will not develope into something serious .. sigh ..

Thank you so much byron for the quick feedback .. Net is in hand to fish out the little critter !!

Just one other thing, If i was to only fish out the 1, and place him in my shrimp tank would this be OK ? as they are a schoaling fish ..

Many many thanks !!

iamntbatman 06-05-2010 03:59 AM

Well cherry barbs are usually pretty peaceful. If I were in your situation I would likely just return the nippy guy, tell the people at the store that he's a rabble-rouser, and try to get a replacement.

Tobias168 06-05-2010 05:03 AM

Hi Iamntbatman,

Unfortunately over here in Hong Kong they dont do replacements or exchanges, once you buy it that's it they dont wanna know, it is very weird lol

Mind you saying this when I was over in the UK, All the aqua shops over there does not take fish in, even if you breed fishes yourself, they just dont seem to take them in not to mention exchanging fish as well, only private fish keepers may buy some rare fishes off of you !

Can I ask where are you from as it sounds like heaven if you can take fishes back and replace them !!

doughnut 06-06-2010 05:59 PM

Hello Tobias168

I've got 5 Cherry Barbs, 3 male and 2 female, in a 10 gallon tank with 6 Three Lined Corys. I actually just got the Corys two days ago but it seems that the barbs are very respectful of the corys. They havn't bothered eachother much at all. It could be just a super aggressive Cherry barb that you've got there. I wonder if you tired to re-arrange the tank a little. If there were any territories that might help to start them fresh and make new ones. Just an idea.

Good luck!!

Michael

Tobias168 06-07-2010 08:43 AM

Hey Doughnut !! (Hmmmm) lol

I had removed the super Duper Evil barb (the most aggresive one) I placed it in the shrimp tank (10g) and at present my cories are doing perfectly fine with the remaining cherries (Y) /. However the aggresive one didnt seem quiet happy on its own, understandbly why because its a schoaling fish .. in the end I bought another 3, so now along with my cherry chrimps I have 4 cherry barbs, how cherriful is my tank !! lol

I LOVE TROPICAL FISH !! Thanks for the advice !!

TexasTanker 06-07-2010 11:37 AM

Don't feel bad, I had 2 aggressive Molly fish. They were attacking the guppies and platy. Perhaps you should sex the barbs, if they're mostly male that could be a root cause for the high aggression.

Tobias168 06-07-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 399183)
. Perhaps you should sex the barbs, if they're mostly male that could be a root cause for the high aggression.

I thought of this at first I had 4 males and 2 females, but saying this the other males are fine .. Theres always 1 ...

Re- your Mollies .. I thank this just explains that there is always 1 bad apple in each fish category lol :shock: