Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Black Ghost Knifefish Tank??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/black-ghost-knifefish-tank-4431/)

Rue 03-21-2007 08:44 PM

Black Ghost Knifefish Tank???

Okay...I'm on Plan D...

Every tank/biotope I like seems to have too many issues for me to deal with efficiently... :?

I've liked the BGKs since I've first seen them...but can find very little 'official' info. on compatibility...just conflicting anecdotes...

Has anyone had one of these fish as the 'main' fish in their tank? If so, what other fish did you find were compatible...and I mean for an adult BGK...

xingumike 03-22-2007 05:22 AM

i kept one until it reached 9 inches i think, absolutely decimated my small fish population, went through 10 lampeyes, and 8 or so rummy noses in the space of a week, not even a trace of the bodies left, took them all out after the lights went out. I was able to hand feed it prawn by the time i got rid of it thought that was pretty cool.

Compatability wise, it needs to be a fish that has no chance of fitting in its mouth, and there mouths are a lot bigger than you think they are and they appear. An adult BGK is going to need quite a big tank, as they can grow over a foot long, awesome fish but not the best one to plan an aqaurium round as they are pretty shy and nocturnal, what sort of thing did you want to put with it?

Rue 03-22-2007 03:51 PM

...I'm still researching...but I'm thinking:

1 Jack Dempsey and/or
1 Green Terror
4-5 Silver Dollars...

If I get everyone while they're small...I'm hoping they'll grow up together and play nice...

...this is in a 75 g tank...but I've since been told that's too many fish... :shock:

Lupin 03-22-2007 10:58 PM

You will find that the silver dollars grow far too large. 8 inches at a max. I'd rather you concentrate on your silver dollars and forget the other two cichlids.:) Such cichlids have a wide array of personalities and can be very unpredictable.

Rue 03-23-2007 12:59 PM

Thanks! :D

So much to learn!!!

mjjrules 04-09-2007 10:06 AM

I have a baby in my tank, about 2 inches long. He lives in a ship and doesn't come out, pokes his head out every once and awhile. I shove 5 pellets into the ship everyday for him to eat since he won't come out. Will he get aggressive as he gets older? At the pet store it said he was a community fish.

bettachris 05-13-2007 01:29 PM

my largest BGK was over 22 inches i believe. about 10 years of age. They will get very large and at this size of course avoid smaller tankmates.

Currently i have 8 smaller BGK living with some parrots, convicts, and flower horns.

even small BGKs i have found to be semi aggressive, at night they will often eat the eyes out of tetras and barbs etc.. small stuff.

When i had my large one, it was in with a 25 inch clown knife, and a 25 inch irrdiecent shark. They all got along great, just provide protection with a clear pipe.

They arent too bad in care, the only thing i really noticed is that they are very easily put into shock with water changes, so watch the new water temp carefully.