Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   fishless cycle (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fishless-cycle-44191/)

mike o 06-01-2010 06:43 PM

fishless cycle

Hi I am new to the forum and was curious is this was normal. I am in my third week of cycling my fish tank fish-less and still have no readings. My ammonia is at about 3.5 ppm nitrates 0 and nitrites 0. My ammonia dropped once to 2 and I bumped it back up to about 4 it has been around four for a while. never had nitrates or nitrites. Temp is about 80 degrees and I am using a pure ammonia (doesnt foam) Only had too add ammonia once to bring it back to four. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks for the help.

iamntbatman 06-02-2010 05:28 AM

Are you sure it's pure ammonia? Surfactants would cause it to foam but it might contain other chemicals that could be preventing bacteria from growing.

Sometimes, though, all it takes is patience. Seeding the tank with bacteria from an established tank (via filter media or decor) could help speed up the process.

mike o 06-02-2010 12:34 PM

Its the ace hardware brand. I have heard numeroud people that have used this brand for cycling a tank. I tried asking lfs's for used media and they all said no.... Any ideas? Thanks for replying

willow 06-02-2010 12:42 PM

hi
have you any friends,or friends of friends:-P who have aquariums ?
they may offer you some ?
where abouts are you ?

mike o 06-02-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 396122)
hi
have you any friends,or friends of friends:-P who have aquariums ?
they may offer you some ?
where abouts are you ?

Hi Willow, oh yeah i forgot to finish my profile. None of my friends or family have an aquarium. I live in chicago, Illinois. I even offered to buy some from my lfs's and they still said no...lol... Will I be ok without adding any bb from an established tank, will it just take longer? I will keep asking around, but it looks pretty slim. Thanks for the reply.

mike o 06-02-2010 07:09 PM

Anyone have any info. I am getting tempted to start over. I have been told that I should have some readings by now. How long does it take on average to get nitrate or nitrite readings?

iamntbatman 06-03-2010 03:13 AM

It depends on a huge number of factors that you can't really quantify, so there's no set amount of time. However, I have heard of cycles taking an incredibly long period of time (a month or more) to get started.

You could also try increasing the temperature a bit. This increases the growth of the bacteria.

willow 06-03-2010 05:21 AM

^^ i was going to say the same thing. :-D
my tank took forever to cycle,about 6 weeks if my memory serves.
you will get there honest.

TexasTanker 06-03-2010 10:30 AM

One trick would be going to your LFS (that sells potted plants from a cycled tank) and purchasing one of those. the plant will likely die BUT the media it is in will likely contain a good portion of bacteria that will take over.

willow 06-03-2010 11:49 AM

what a great idea. !