Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Platy fry ready to join the adults? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/platy-fry-ready-join-adults-44042/)

TexasTanker 05-30-2010 06:46 PM

Platy fry ready to join the adults?

I have Seven platy fry, or what I am guessing are Platy fry. They are around a month old. Because I wasn't aware of them until about three weeks ago I think their growth was a little stunted. Since they moved to the hospital tank they seem to be thriving and are now almost a half inch long. I have a grown male Guppy with them and he has not made a move to eat them. Is this big enough to reintroduce them to the big tank? I really need to move the hospital tank and cannot do so with them in it. How big should they be to move? The main tank is 55 gallons and has about 12 mid size live bearers. There are plants in the tank to allow them hiding and I'm nearly ready to put driftwood in as well.

zof 05-30-2010 07:22 PM

I have a platy fry from 5/8 its been in my main tank the whole time heck didn't even notice it survived all this time up until about a week ago. That day I finally saw it again it was starting to explore in the open of the tank, a few of the fish came up to it to see if it was food and the only one that chased it was its mother (figures) but gave up after a while. This whole week it has been become more and more comfortable in the tank and all the fish have been leaving it alone. My guess is its already 1/2" long so they might do ok, if you want to help them in the relocation then you might take or separate out the older fish out to let the fry find some hiding places before the big mouths start chasing them.

If you want to keep them in the hospital after you move it you might want to just fill a container with the aquarium water and put them in there temporarily then put them back, I did this Thursday when I replanted everything, as I took everything out and it had no place to hide.

I've only been so careful of this fry because its my first and only, I'm sure once one of my guppies drops 50 I wont be so sympathetic.

TexasTanker 05-30-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 394179)

I've only been so careful of this fry because its my first and only, I'm sure once one of my guppies drops 50 I wont be so sympathetic.

I hear you there. I'm not too concerned about numbers. More or less I'm just really curious about these. I don't know which female birthed them, as none of them changed physically, and They are not taking on characteristics of any of the fish in the tank or any of the ones from the LFS where I bought them. I realize they could be from many transfers ago but no where in all my research have I seen their specific markings. Five females (all 7 of them are female) have 2-3 very distinctive and clearly marked vertical tiger stripes, are blue and have black outlines around their eyes and dorsals. I'm debating on calling them something silly like clown panda platy.. I'm still trying to get a clear photo but my silly camera has trouble focusing on something so small. (I can get a license plate from half a mile away, craters on the moon, but not a fry at any distance) :-?

zof 05-30-2010 11:35 PM

I read somewhere on this forum that most fry appear to be female until they grow larger. Mine is easy to tell since I have 2 very different types of platies, this ones defiantly a sunburst wag platy. In order to get a picture of my fry I took the photo while I had it separated from the rest, other wise they move to fast for my amateur photo focusing hands.

Austin 05-31-2010 04:23 AM

Ya, all my fry have appeared to be female. I don't really think this is possible. So I'm assuming they have not grown fully yet (blah). My guppy developed his gonopodium (without that, he looked like a female when he was younger) after a couple months. So, I assume you might have some males that are just undeveloped.

If the fry is not small enough to somewhat easily fit inside one of your fish's mouths, then it will probably have a decent chance at surviving. I do fine introducing fish that are just a little bit too big to be easily fit inside a fish's mouth.

One thing you'll notice is that the fish will initially chase all the fry. If they are big enough not to fit into their mouths and escape, the larger fish will stop chasing them after a day or so. It's weird, but I've noticed this, so I wouldn't freak out IF THEY ARE TOO BIG TO FIT IN THEIR MOUTH EASILY.

But I'd be a bit concerned at 1/2 an inch. It's up to you to decide if you want to take the risk.... If you have TONS of plants that will help too as you know....

The one thing I don't like about adding fry to my larger tank is that if they disappear, I can't ever find the reason usually. And I don't notice for a while because they hide often.

TexasTanker 05-31-2010 03:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I broke down and added a divider tot he big tank as well as several more plants. They seem happier than a pig in poop right now. Here's the pics.

eileen 05-31-2010 05:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I like your divider. Where did you get it? Your platies will take awhile to tell them apart. They all look like females and then one day they will develop and you can tell them apart. I have bumblebee platy fry now. I only have about 7-8 .Seems they only have small batches. Some are yellow others are yellow & Black, and I have almost all black from my bumblebees. Here's a picuture of my bumblebees: