Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Stocking for my new 55g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-my-new-55g-43959/)

Magzmoir 05-29-2010 05:17 PM

Stocking for my new 55g

Posted this in another thread but I think its should be here so Ive just C&P it :

So Ive started the cycling process a few days ago now. Trying the prawns in a bag method...measured the ammonia lvl's today and I only seem to be reaching about 0.25ppm Im sure I read somewhere it needs to get a lot higher, like around 4 - 5 ppm (most of the methods Ive read advise using pure ammonia in liquid form). Should I just add more prawns ?

Getting into reading up on the types of fish I want to put in the tank now. I really love the look of about 5 different spieces here they are as follows -

-Yellow labs (cant go wrong for colour and should look awsome against my slate coloured decor)
-Cyno afra (not sure tho cos the females Ive seen in pics look quite drab)
-Rusty's (love the lilac sheen the mature males develop but once again females quite drab)
-Red top Ndumbi (doesnt seem a popular fish but I love it)
-Demasoni (Ive heard very agressive but mostly with its own kind or similar looking species)

So atm leaning towards 3 grps of 8 juvenile fish probably Demasoni, Yellow labs and Ndumbi's, would this mix work ok or should I forget about the Demasoni since they are the most agressive of my selection ?

Im picking these 3 because info on the net seems to suggest the females are almost as pretty as the males.

rrcoolj 06-07-2010 01:08 PM

I am impressed. For your first tank you didn't chose obviously vicious fish that would eliminte your stock. I would honestly scratch the demosoni and the red top and go with the labs, rusty's, and afras(8 of each). Thin out the ratios you need as they get older. OR, I would do 8 labs and 12 demasoni. That is a very popular fish combination you are sure to love. You have to have atleast 12 demasoni because thier conspecific aggression is so high. With 12 the casualties are kept to a minimum or none.

Magzmoir 06-08-2010 04:36 AM

Thank you :)

Ive been doing a little more reading and your line of thought seems sound there, the more demasoni I have the better, throwing a good number of yellow labs in for the contrasting colour will be striking. Dont really need a 3rd spieces considering how nice the blue stripes and vibrant yellows are going to look :)

Thanks for the input :)

rrcoolj 06-08-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magzmoir (Post 399593)
Thank you :)

Ive been doing a little more reading and your line of thought seems sound there, the more demasoni I have the better, throwing a good number of yellow labs in for the contrasting colour will be striking. Dont really need a 3rd spieces considering how nice the blue stripes and vibrant yellows are going to look :)

Thanks for the input :)

Yeah it's going to look awesome. The labs are very peacfull and will be large and showy and the constant chasing and flaring of the dems will have you entertained for hours. Kepp us updated on how everything goes.

Good Luck!

Magzmoir 06-13-2010 12:35 PM

Well the tank finally finished cycling and I did a 70% water change last night. Went to the LFS today and bought -

x8 yellow labs
x2 C. Moorii

Will still be getting the demasoni but will have to source them elsewhere since the LFS doesnt have them.

I realise that getting the C. Moorii probably wasnt a smart idea considering that they need a lot of swimming space but as I understand it that take a very long time to grow I just couldnt resist them. Also its a good excuse for me to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future :lol:.

Ive spent the last hour sitting watching them get used to thier new home, its funny I have to sit really still so they all come out, then my son runs by and <woosh> not a fish in sight lol.

I'll get some pic's up when my hubby gets home, getting them from camera (SD card) to Mac to photobucket confuses me lol (well mostly the Camera > Mac part) :roll:

rrcoolj 06-13-2010 03:23 PM

You should be fine with them and the labs. But they will get big and will require IMO atleast a 6ft tank considering they are open water haps. You will probably need to buy a few more too but It can work.

Magzmoir 06-13-2010 03:58 PM

will they be ok when I add the demasoni ? I dont want them to get the snott beaten out of them :roll:

me and my weak will lol

rrcoolj 06-14-2010 04:10 AM

hmm they should be fine as long as you are adding 12+ of the demasoni. The demasoni again are pretty peacfull to different looking other species it's eachother they seem to have an issue with.

Magzmoir 06-14-2010 08:54 AM

Thnx :)

Im enjoying them so much atm lol everytime I walk past the tank I stop for 10 mins just to watch them. They are little hogs too, about 30sec after putting the food in its gone! Is it normal for them to be hungry all the time lol

rrcoolj 06-14-2010 09:13 AM

Yes they should be hungry all the time. Don't feed them more than what they can consume in 30sec-1min because too much food will cause malawi bloat.