Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   have i over filled my tank?!?!?! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/have-i-over-filled-my-tank-439/)

fiona 09-11-2006 03:40 PM

have i over filled my tank?!?!?!

i have a really nice round tank, i love it!!!
i started with only a few fish, as iv stared to learn more i have now got 18 fish in a 10 gallon tank.
they all seem very happy and dont really get in each others way but i dont know if i may have over filled the space that i have got!!!
any thoughts?
like i say i am new to this and i would want to distress the fish in anyway that they wouldnt need to. :oops:

dprUsh83 09-11-2006 03:43 PM

Hi fiona, nice to meet you as i am new too! I am curious, what kind of fish are they?

zeb_nz 09-11-2006 04:16 PM

Also can we have the filter that you are using and water details please? Also the size and quantity of the fish that you have, also tank dimensions please.

girlofgod 09-11-2006 04:40 PM

a pic would be nice. =) :D

Nick 09-11-2006 05:49 PM

Just by me thinking of 18 fish in a 10 gallon is WAY OVERSTOCKED. fish details and pic would be nice :D thanks

joeshmoe 09-11-2006 06:53 PM

yes flattracks right i have ten and 55 gal right no and tens cant hold much so you might have take some fish back and, just take a small amount of water out and you'll be fine. ~joe~

Tracy 09-13-2006 11:12 PM

I'm hoping the 18 fish in your 10 gallon tank are VERY small. Usually, the rule of thumb is, one inch of fish per gallon of water, taking into account the MATURE size of the fish. Of course, this rule can be stretched if you have a more-than-adequate filter, and extra aeration. in your tank, you should not be keeping fish that will grow larger than 1 inch when they are fully grown.

Tracy 09-13-2006 11:15 PM

As an addendum, I can add that it is a good idea to have fish that fill all 3 areas of your tank, i.e. some of them are top swimmers; some of them are mid swimmers; and the remainder are bottom swimmers. That way, you are utilizing all the space in your aquarium.

tarek 09-14-2006 07:24 AM

yeah thats wat im trying to do with my betta bt he seems to liek the space in my 9 gallon tank, i thought bettas were meant to stay near the top mine ( Mr. Miagi) is constantly moving he never stops unless hes asleep but yea any ideas on wat are some nice middle and bottom dwellers that wont fight with my betta?

Tracy 09-14-2006 09:07 AM

I had put my betta in the 25 gallon aquarium with some black skirt tetras small cory catfish and a pleco. The tetras did not go after his fins, and if they got too close he would 'start' after them and they would swim away quickly and he did not pursue, therefore all was peaceful. The betta would sit at the bottom, under the log with the pleco, and neither of those two bothered each other either. Just don't put your betta in with fish that are semi-aggressive, or other fish that have long colourful fins (such as male guppies).