Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ADF help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/adf-help-43898/)

PrincessBetta 05-28-2010 06:28 PM

ADF help

I couldn't find anything on here about african dwarf frogs. So I thought I would put it here. I rescued a bunch of fish last weekend. I rehomed alot of them due to space. I felt bad cuz the person said they would have been flushed if no one wanted them. Well I got an african dwarf frog too. I put her by herself cuz she was really skinny. I read that if kept with fish you most likely have to hand feed them with tweezers or something. Well shes finally eating. It took me a few days. She rejected everything I tried except frozen brine shrimp. She loves that and i need to get more. I might try frozen bloodworms too. Shes starting to put on more weight and I am happy about that. Shes a funny little frog. Well after doing research on ADF's I am a little confused. I feel bad shes by herself. They say ADF's like company and thrive on having other frogs. I have a 10 gallon tank I wanna set up for her. Right now shes in a 1.5 gallon. I have no problem going out and getting 2-3 more frogs. Just seems a waste of space for just 1 tiny frog to be in a 10 gallon all alone. Anyways, here is my question. Should I get her some friends? I don't know if they will fight over territory or what. Firstly, I don't know how old Loki is. I mean she might be use to being alone. Also if more frogs is out of the question, how about I get some cories? At least she wont be alone and there will be more in the tank then just her. I just don't want to get more frogs just to have them fight. I would have to take the frogs back then because I don't have the room to put them. So anyways, advice and opinions are much welcomed. Thank you.

iamntbatman 06-01-2010 04:04 AM

Have a look at our profile for the African Dwarf Frog:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...an-dwarf-frog/

You can also get info on them here by mousing over the highlighted name in any post for a quick blurb, or by clicking the name to link to the same profile I linked just now. But, to answer your question directly, they do do better in groups and can be kept with peaceful fish but feeding issues need to be considered.

PrincessBetta 06-01-2010 11:26 AM

Oh shoot!!! I went out to petsmart and got some albino corydoras to put in with Loki. Well I actually have the albino corys and Loki in with the 3 adolfo cories i rescued. I can't seem to find more adolfos to save my life. But ever since I put the albinos in they seem to come out more. The albinos are crazy nuts and going everywhere it seems lol. Doesnt seem to bother Loki though.

Speaking of Loki, so you say ADF are better with other frogs? I have an empty 10 gallon, I suppose I could go and get a few more frogs. I just wanna do whats right by her and not just what I want. I was going to get some type of fish for my empty 10 gallon but if you say she would be better with more frogs maybe I shuold consider that. I will read that link and see what I should do.

BettaBob 06-02-2010 04:21 AM

I have one in with my betta and they both seem very happy! the frog sings all night and is not active during the day. I feed it with a turkey baster at night. The betta is not an issue with feeding. I had two in at first and i find it weird but they seemed less active then my one is now. The second one died of a fungus infection of some sort but now this one is alive and well alone. I too am trying to decide whether to get more frogs.

iamntbatman 06-02-2010 05:37 AM

I don't believe that the frogs are quite as dependent on groups as schooling fish like tetras (which can get extremely stressed out and sick if not kept in a group) but they do seem to act a little more sociable when kept with more of their own kind.

fishfreak2009 06-02-2010 06:35 AM

I currently have 5 otos, 4 guppies, 6 bronze corydoras, and 6 African Dwarf Frogs in an aquarium together. Makes a great display. Still planning on adding a couple more frogs this weekend and some croaking gouramis this summer. Tank is planted with Cryptocoryne wendtii var. bronze, and I am still going to add some other plants.

Anyways, the frogs really love company. I think they should be kept in groups. Just make sure their water is like about 77 degrees. I feed one cube of marine cuisine each day and the frogs immediately pick up on the scent. As an occasional treat they also get live blackworms. Everything in the tank eats from the cube of food which sinks pretty fast, except the otos who seem to love zuccini.

PrincessBetta 06-02-2010 11:30 AM

My problem is would Loki attack new frogs? Shes use to being the only frog for I dunno how long. The girl I got her from had fish for over 2 years so I am wondering if she had Loki that long too. Loki hides in the cave I have in there with some of my cories. She comes out too but she seems fine. I just dont want fights to happen. I am very paranoid about that. Does anyone know if Loki would fight more frogs? Being that shes been the only frog her whole life.

BettaBob 06-02-2010 01:46 PM

I could be wrong but i dont think that the frogs attacking would be an issue. From what I have seen they are very very peaceful little guys.

PrincessBetta 06-02-2010 03:23 PM

I just don't know the right choice to make is my problem. I prefer to get more fish but if I don't want Loki to be sad. She gets along real well with the corys. I am wondering if this is just one of those decisions I have to make on my own and either choice is fine lol. I am so indecisive