Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Changing tanks! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/changing-tanks-43881/)

YellowOctopus 05-28-2010 03:47 PM

Changing tanks!

Right now, I've got a 20-tall aquarium for my tropical tank, but I found this 27 gallon hexagonal tank at a pet shop that I really want. It comes with a bunch of stuff (including a pump, etc) and I'm thinking about buying it. It's got extra storage space, which I desperately need, and would take up less floor space.

However.

I'm concerned about how to change tanks. I really don't want to put my fish through cycling again, if I can avoid it, and I really really don't want to lose any fish in the move (who would?).

Edit: I have 3 zebra danios (long finned, gold morphs), 3 neon tetras, 2 celebes rainbowfish, one chinese algae eater, one bumblebee goby and a two bar platy.

Does anyone have any tips on how to change tanks? Is it possible to do it without cycling the new tank? How can I minimize stress on my fish? Should I just forget about it?

Thanks so much!

JohnnyD44 05-28-2010 04:01 PM

It's really quite simple actually so don't be stressed about it....

If you have a siphon, and a few 5 gallon buckets...the entire process will take you about 30 mins...if that.

Here's the steps I would follow...
1. Siphon out tank water into the first 5g bucket and transfer your fish into that bucket.
2. Siphon out another 5 gallon bucket full of water....place your filter media, rocks, plants and any decor you may have into that bucket.
3. If you have it, fill another 5 gallon bucket with tank water.
4. Go ahead scoop all your gravel, and transfer it directly to you new tank.

You can then add the last bucket fill of just water, then add the 2nd bucket with your rocks, plants and decor (get it set-up how you wish) move your filter to your new tank, and add the filter media back to the filter (don't turn it on yet)

You can then dump the last bucket of water into your new tank and net your fish back into your new tank. Fill the rest of your new tank with new tap water, being sure to use conditioner. turn you filter on and voila! you're all set.

You'll avoid any kind of cycling issue because you haven't change anything in your tank, except the glass technically....

Since you kept 15 gallons of your old tank water, you're basically doing a 50% water change for you new tank.

I'd still monitor the levels just to be sure, but you should be ok!

Austin 05-28-2010 05:20 PM

Ya, all you gotta do is take all the gravel (it'll probably look pretty gross when you do this), and half to all of the water (id do half you mine as well do the W/C now.) But, don't let the filter dry up or anything, and move just everything to the 27g tank and yup that's all.