Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Post your biggest fishkeeping mistake (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/post-your-biggest-fishkeeping-mistake-43779/)

Kaisa 05-26-2010 11:43 PM

Post your biggest fishkeeping mistake

Not sure if there's alrady a topic like this here but today got me thinking what other dumb mistakes people have made during their fishkeeping adventures :-)

Mines not too bad, more stupid than anything...earlier today during water changes instead of hooking the siphon clip to the inside of the bucket, I hooked it up to the outside :-( the tank sits 4.5ft up on my dresser and drains FAST so before I noticed and could stop it I had a few gallons of water on the floor :-(

another one... when i got my first betta 4 years ago I thought since i'd never seen him jump before I could leave him uncovered in his holding cup while I cleaned his tank in the bathroom. Much to my surprise when I came back in he had jumped down 4.5ft to wood floor. He was fine. he's also slithered out of my hands and fallen on the ground a few times and he's still here after 4 years :-)

jpbotha 05-27-2010 02:46 AM

I had a 150 litre tank for my convicts. As I was busy vacuuming the gravel the convict "attacked" me, cause they had a few eggs to protect. As i plucked my hand out of the tank, I broke the side glass panel of the tank. Within seconds I had a bedroom filled with water and two Convicts lying flat on the gravel gasping for air.
Luckily I have a few tanks and could save the Convicts. Had to buy them a new tank of course. They are still breeding every month and since the incident I dont even touch their tank while there is eggs or fry.

iamntbatman 05-27-2010 03:54 AM

My biggest mistake probably came when I set up and stocked my second tank. The first tank was a basic betta tank; I set that up without cycling it but the betta lived through the cycle so I only found out later that I had probably stressed him out a good deal.

Anyway, the second tank I set up was a 10g. I didn't cycle that one either and stocked it right off the bat with two iridescent sharks and two rainbow sharks. They're both "semi-aggressive" so should get alone fine, and according to the info tags at Petsmart both species max out at 6" (actually it might've been less for the rainbow sharks) and will do fine in a 10g tank. To give you an idea of how bad this stocking is: iridescent sharks are notoriously nervous, skittish fish that need fast-flowing water and the safety of a school and grow to four feet in length, making them famous "tankbusters." The rainbow sharks really do only get to 6" (still pushing it in a 10g for sure) but are highly territorial. The two ID sharks didn't survive the cycle but the rainbow sharks did; unfortunately the bigger one terrorized the smaller one to death and then later I guess felt some serious remorse for his actions and jumped ship during a water change. So yep, my first "real" tank was a total disaster.

willow 05-28-2010 10:21 AM

biggest has got to be leaving a tank unatended with hose primed and ready to empty
the tank,one end of the hose came out of the tank and i had hmmmmm about
3/4 of the tank empty on the living room floor,i lost my Angel fish to that.

Mikaila31 05-28-2010 11:19 AM

about a year ago I had my hi tech planted tank, cycled, and fully stocked with lots of awesome fishes. Bought this really cool piece of wood from petsmart. Boiled it and added it to the tank. 24 hours later I was out over $100 in stock :-(. On top of that my mom who works in 7-5 in the same room as this tank didn't notice anything was wrong.

Pep 05-29-2010 09:12 AM

I had my 90g up and running and about 3/4 stocked of plan. I use Seachem Flourish for fert. I had been dosing once per week 1.5 capfuls which is about right for 90g. However, I had not taken into account the fact I have 4" of substrate, plants, 2 pcs of dw and a rock in the tank volume wise. I put in closer to 2 capfuls one day thinking ehhh shouldn't be a big deal but in reality not thinking at all. In less than 1/2 hour all the fish were at the surface gasping and I am in a panic. I did a 60% water change right away and that helped them settle and then did another 50% the next day. But a few fish became stressed from my stupidy and I lost 4 fish over the next few days that were happy and healthy before. A very sad hard lesson learned that I am still ticked off at myself over to this day. I now dose 1 capful only every 4 days and I pour it directly into the filter flow bar slowly so it disipates into the water better.

1077 05-30-2010 12:22 AM

Was a few years ago, I bought a used 90 gallon tank from a guy and placed it in the back of my truck on an old quilt for the ride home.
A few blocks from home, I pulled away from a stop light on a slight incline and the tank slid to the back of the bed and hit the tailgate shattering the end of the tank.
Should have tied it down.:|

willow 05-30-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 393621)
Was a few years ago, I bought a used 90 gallon tank from a guy and placed it in the back of my truck on an old quilt for the ride home.
A few blocks from home, I pulled away from a stop light on a slight incline and the tank slid to the back of the bed and hit the tailgate shattering the end of the tank.
Should have tied it down.:|

gutted. :-( i would have been.

xrayjeeper83 05-31-2010 03:59 PM

Getting into this whole mess LOL

Tomsk 06-02-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrayjeeper83 (Post 394707)
Getting into this whole mess LOL

lol,agreed.I only started my first tank at the beginning of the year and now I'm about to set up my 3rd tank :-? although I must admit the biggest is only a 10G,though as I keep telling my wife..."small is better" :-P

Tomsk