Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Bolivian Ram fry, 4 days old (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/bolivian-ram-fry-4-days-old-43771/)

mordalphus 05-26-2010 09:24 PM

Bolivian Ram fry, 4 days old

3 Attachment(s)
Seeing as how when it comes to bolivian rams, the web is rather scarce on information about breeding and fry care, I thought I'd take this opportunity to post pictures of the fry I have in my community tank before they're all eaten.

They have just been ushered out of their pit by the mother for the first time since hatching. This is what they look like when they are free swimming.

They're still heavily guarded by both parents, and the coloration of the parents is incredibly brilliant. Very bright orange, red, blue and the black bars and spots are very clearly defined and very black.

As you can see in the final picture, they are both regarding me and my camera with scorn. The mother repeatedly rammed herself into the glass trying to scare me, so I actually had only a small amount of time to snap these pictures before I freaked out, I don't want her beating herself up about it!

I'm not sure if you can see, but they're in a small depression, and just one pit out of about 5 that they've dug in the sand. They make great pits.

I'm going to try to get some with a turkey baster, and rear them in my fry tank in a separate breeder box. We'll see how it goes.

aunt kymmie 05-26-2010 10:40 PM

Wow, those are GREAT pictures! I'm so envious. I'd love to have a pair of spawning rams. Lucky you!! *very envious*

mordalphus 05-27-2010 12:27 AM

I'm actually completely surprised... This is their first spawn, and they're doing GREAT as parents.

From what I've read, it usually takes them a few tries before they're able to get to this point. However, these are abnormally diligent parents, and I'm extremely lucky.

Also, my other two bolivians are now flirting on the other side of the tank, so I'm hoping for 2 breeding pairs. *fingers crossed*

-- Liam

iamntbatman 05-27-2010 04:42 AM

None of the fish in your tank really jump out at me as being major piscivores, so even in your community setting you might very well have a bunch of fry survive to adulthood. My krib pair's first successful spawn (then in a 20g tank with corydoras, a dwarf gourami and zebra danios) resulted in 34 fry surviving to adult size. If your rams are anywhere near as diligent at parenting (which they appear to be based on your descriptions) I think you'll be taking young rams to the LFS for store credit before you know it.

mordalphus 05-27-2010 08:48 AM

Well that would be nice, though I've already seen the black mollies picking off the more adventurous fry. Damn mollies gobble up everything! In my fry tank, I originally had 8 black molly fry (the ones I could save after less than 12 hours alone with the parents) and zebra danio fry together, the next day, I had 8 very fat black molly fry, even though they were almost the same length. I had to actually rear the danio fry in my shrimp tank until they were too fat for the molly fry to eat. UGH.

Also, anyone who wants some zebra danios or some black mollies, they're almost half an inch now, the cutest size! Haha!

eileen 05-27-2010 11:01 AM

Are those easy to care for? I think they are really pretty and was thinking of getting some. Are they good with platies,BN pleco. I have a 20 gal. with just a few fish and baby fry.My 55 gal. has 1 anglefish,guppies,bn,yo yo loaches, harlequen rasboras, von rio congo tetras. Do any of these thats seem good for them.

I would be interested in having a couple of the babies when they are able to be shipped. I will pay for shipping. I can even send you an insultaled box with breather bags. I can also get a 72 hour heat pad if needed. If the parents are good parents the babies will be good natured. If you are interested in selling some to and maybe Aunt Kymmie as she lives close to me about 35 minutes away fom my home. Maybe I could split the shipping cost with her and the cost of your Ram babies.

I have baby Black Moscow guppy fry from a National show champion breeder I could send you some and put the extra unopened heat pack on the bottom of the box with some extra breather bags. If you are willing to sale me some of the Ram frys.

aunt kymmie 05-27-2010 11:23 AM

Eileen- I have rams in my tank and they do very well in our local tap water. I keep mine with yoyos and clowns so I think rams in your 55 would be just fine. Rams stay in the lower third of the water strata and your floor blueprint is wide open, you're 55 is so understocked as it is. :-)
As for me, I'm so overstocked I can't even consider adding any other fish. Not to mention juvenile rams with adult rams (who already have well established territories) probably wouldn't be a good mix.

eileen 05-27-2010 11:43 AM

So I would be good to go then great. If I ever had issues with my 1 baby angelfish I could move it to another tank. I think I would use my 20 gal. tank at first. I did't know you had Rams are they the same as the above?

mordalphus 05-27-2010 11:49 AM

I would be happy to sell off my babies here on TFK, but I'm not sure whether I can save these ones or not, well see.

aunt kymmie 05-27-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 392023)
I did't know you had Rams are they the same as the above?

Yes, just the same, only mine are males. I wasn't lucky enough to end up with a female from the juveniles I purchased.