Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Looking for some Zebra Neritina snails or Malaysian Trumpet Snails... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/looking-some-zebra-neritina-snails-malaysian-43606/)

dfbiggs 05-24-2010 02:12 PM

Looking for some Zebra Neritina snails or Malaysian Trumpet Snails...

If anyone can recommend a place online I can get these for reasonable prices or if anyone is giving any away I will glady take them off your hands. I know for some people they are pests.

Castro235 05-24-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 390134)
If anyone can recommend a place online I can get these for reasonable prices or if anyone is giving any away I will glady take them off your hands. I know for some people they are pests.

I ordered my malaysian trumpet snails off of ebay, it was like 12 dollars after shipping i think, and 40+ snails, theyre still all over the place and I got them about 2 weeks ago, so they were healthy enough to do just fine and seemed like a good price to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-Malaysian-Tru...item335d56f3b4

dfbiggs 05-24-2010 08:29 PM

I was just looking there...40 seems like so many. Were they assorted sizes mostly? I don't want to buy seeds ..:)

redchigh 05-24-2010 08:37 PM

I think 1-5 snails per gallon would be fine.

You can also ask sweet aquatics to send you some without a purchase- as many as you want for about $5.

I did it about a month ago and ordered 2 dwarf baby tears in the box with them... Baby tears died but the snails shall live on, and the way I look at it I still got a decent deal just for the 40-50 mts I got.

Castro235 05-24-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 390349)
I was just looking there...40 seems like so many. Were they assorted sizes mostly? I don't want to buy seeds ..:)

Yeah, they were all different sizes.

I got maybe 4 that were around an inch, most of them were between .5 .75 probably, and a few little ones, I put probably thirty into my 10 gallon, and I definitely see them, but they by no means overcrowd the tank since they're so small and spend most of their time in the substrate.

I could probably count 15 easy just poking around the tank, and I figure if I can count half of what I put in there, the other half is probably just eluding me, rather than actually dead.

They did an awesome job cleaning up the brown algae all over my clay pot, and on the white gravel I had in there.

If you have a 10 gallon or bigger, personally I would say the 40 trumpets would probably be fine, my 10 gallon is overstocked for the time being, but they seem to be doing fine.

(10 gallon with gravel, fake plants, one airstone, aqueon 10 HOB filter, one comet goldfish <4 inches, two common goldfish <4 inches, the 30~ snails, and as of yesterday an amano shrimp, and I figure if they shrimp can live in the conditions and -seem- happy and healthy, the snails really aren't affecting the bioload much)

dfbiggs 05-24-2010 08:46 PM

You recommended that place to me for plants and you say they send you dead ones..lol

dfbiggs 05-24-2010 08:49 PM

See i have aquarium soil and I am concerned of them shifting things around. I dont want my plants floating again..

redchigh 05-24-2010 09:16 PM

I just checked with sweet aquatics- they have 4 different kinds of nerites for less than $2 each. (Okay, not much less than $2- $1.99)

Oh, the plants. LOL.

They sent them perfectly healthy- dwarf baby tears just request higher light levels than all my other plants- I didn't think it was worth it to replace my fixture for one $4 plant. :)

dfbiggs 05-24-2010 09:32 PM

i am haggling now..so far i have that price beat

aunt kymmie 05-24-2010 10:18 PM

I'm going to be in Newberry Springs this Friday. If you want to make the trip out and meet me there I'll give you a handful for free. Your dog and mine can swim and play in the lake there! It's only a four hour drive round trip, lol. Your dog looks like alot of fun. :-)

My LFS has them and will give them away by the handfuls. Maybe one of yours has freebies too??