Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Save the fish at Walmart!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/save-fish-walmart-43591/)

Alienbetta1 05-24-2010 10:30 AM

Save the fish at Walmart!!!

I strongly want to save the fish at Walmart dose anyone feel the same.How do you add a movie to a post from Windows Live Movie Maker?

xrayjeeper83 05-24-2010 08:31 PM

yes, the only local to me has ghost shrimp for 36 cents east. but my tank isnt cycled fully so i cant get em

Shara 05-24-2010 09:05 PM

Yes it's like puppymill puppies. On one side you are saving those particular individuals but on the other you are supporting them financially. Our local wal-mart does not have fish thankfully!

FuzzAz 05-24-2010 11:15 PM

I cant even look at them, its gross. Those fish are unfortuniate but for every one you save you condemn another.

redchigh 05-24-2010 11:46 PM

As far as the movie, your best bet would be to upload it to youtube and post a link here.

I'm pretty sure wal-marts across the country are phasing live fish out. All the more reason to stop buying fish there.

Towels are good to buy in bulk.
Fish are not.

And if you think about how pet stores work (they mark up the price from (200-500% !) It's really like you're dooming 3 or 4 for every one you buy.

If they have a tank full of fish, and they sell 1/3 of them and the rest die, as long as they made a profit they will do it again.
If they have a tank full and all the fish die, they will stop selling them altogether.

zof 05-25-2010 12:36 AM

Actually as far as walmart goes is amazing they haven't phased them out already, even if they do mark them up 500% you have to look at the extra costs for lighting, feeding, and maintenance or lack there of in walmarts case. The way walmart looks at the products they stock is, how much shelf space it uses and of that number how much money does it pull in per self space unit. I have a feeling they actually lose money on the fish even with their lack of care but what the corporate level has done is they have attached the fish together with the fish supplies (such as food, tanks, etc.) so even if they take a loss on every fish they sell they justify it by linking that number to the supplies they sell.

And actually they are right to do so, walmart sells to impulse buyers so someone walks by the fish tanks and thinks they are cute and decides to get one on a whim. Great now that I got the fish I suppose he will need some place to live, oh and food might be good and what the hell throw in the little plastic pirate. That one little fish they sold for $5 didn't pay for the light bill but all that stuff the impulse buyer need to keep the fish sure did.

So hence finally to my point, the key here is not to buy fish from walmart but its not to buy any stuff from the aquatic isle at walmart, and then you will still not make much of a difference until you can convince the impulse public of the same thing. Then again the impulse public is swayed by the day time talk shows... maybe we can get Oprah involved ;)

Mikaila31 05-25-2010 12:42 AM

Yeah its sad, but I personally don't care that greatly for walmarts fish. Or most fish not my own. I simply consider poorly cared for fish as lost causes. It may sound harsh, but in reality I don't have time or funds to rescue fish in need. Even those fish that friends try to push on me for free complete with tanks and crap. I don't want them! A friend finally convinced me a month ago to "take care of her fish", she has no issue with me euthanize them. She does not want them, I don't want them, I can't house them, and it would be very difficult to rehome these fish to a "good home". And as other have pointed out in the long run you do no good buy saving farmed fish. I will occasionally fall for unwanted fish at auctions though. Thats how I got my lone pearl danio. He was a "donation danio" meaning all proceeds went to the club. A room full of 200+ fish keepers, and no one wanted him for a $1. So I was like" what the hell....".

coolcar24th 06-04-2010 11:15 AM

Most of the walmarts around here already phased out the fish. Theres only one walmart that actually still sells fish here. Also if you MUST save the fish at walmart, I suggest you get them Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday is the day they stock all the fish here so most will be pretty healthy. I have to admit though, I did buy a puffer from them once, and it lived a good 5 years in brackish conditions.

Mystic 06-04-2010 12:58 PM

We still have one walmart that sells fish here (Super Walmart) But the other one stopped selling them completely and stopped selling the supplies for them too. I go to my LFS for my fish. 2 places I go. They are both stand alone places no chain store crap. They are people that actually care. 1 place I go the guy actually has a degree in Marine biology. He is awesome.

BOYCOTT WALMART

eileen 06-04-2010 07:38 PM

I have had no problems with my fish that I bought at Walmart. I guess it depends on who they hire to take care of them in that department. The one I go to is really good and I never see dead fish floating or unkept tanks with algae and I have got fish that are still alive that I've had for over 3 years from there. I have seen someone post pictures of some really bad tanks at Walmart but again I've seen some bad tanks at Petco also with dead fish and other fish eating the dead and fish infected with Ich. A bad sign not to buy from them. It is upsetting to see these conditions and they should be brought up to the Management of the store for such bad conditions by people like you and me. Maybe they would fix the problems by hiring someone to keep an eye on the tanks and know something about fish keeping and take out the dead fish and keep things clean.

I understand that new fish get stressed out from shipping and never buy fish that were shipped that week. It is a good idea to ask when they get their shipment of fish so that you can wait to purchase in a week or two of them being shipped to avoid fish loss and stress.