Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   snail shell's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snail-shells-43560/)

JaspersANGEL 05-23-2010 08:27 PM

snail shell's

Ah well looks like my two mystery snail's wont die so i decided i'll take care of them!
I bought 2 gold mystery snail's on an impulse, and put one in both my tanks.

their shell's are looking pretty ragged, and i read somewhere on here that they need some kind of calcium supplement to help with the shell's.

so I'm just wondering what i can put in my tanks for the snail's and that won't hurt my bettas...
the bettas don't touch the snail's but they do steel their food when i feed them (even one of my guys, he's not shy at all *lol*, grabs the algea wafer from under his snail, so ya they'll eat anything)
i read tums or caltrate or something can help but will that harm the bettas if they eat it...

any sugestions..
thankx for the help

iamntbatman 05-24-2010 06:18 AM

I've used Caltrate before with no problems. None of my other fish ever seemed interested in eating it aside from plecos. My betta never even tried to eat it.

JaspersANGEL 05-24-2010 09:36 AM

but say if they ate it will it harm them...

Alienbetta1 05-24-2010 10:10 AM

Well maybe they won't eat it.

iamntbatman 05-25-2010 02:57 AM

I don't think it would cause problems. Caltrate is just starch, calcium and vitamin D. It never caused the plecos any trouble.

JaspersANGEL 05-25-2010 07:45 PM

i went to get some caltrate pills today, are the snail's supposed to eat them or could i kindda burry them in the gravel so the betta's won't get to them....

iamntbatman 05-26-2010 03:47 AM

I just put mine on a flat rock in the tank. They kind of fall apart and can make a mess if you put them directly on the gravel.

As there's no meat in them at all, I really can't picture bettas trying to eat it.

zoragen 05-28-2010 11:02 PM

I just got my nerites last week.

I put a caltrate pill in the tank & my betta just ignored it.

I'm going to try some zucchini for them so I'll see what my betta thinks of that!

JaspersANGEL 05-29-2010 03:57 PM

i cut the caltrate pill in half and just dropped them in my tank's, Moon seemed to love it he didn't leave the spot wehre the pill disolved for day's, he even dug a small ditch in the gravel in that same spot *lol*, i dunno if Dawn loved it, althought he didn't leave the powder for days either *lol* so i guess he did *lol*

now all that's left is to see some improvement on their shell's hehehe

when i dropped the pill's in the tanks one of my betta's Charlie went to see what it was, heheh even took some in his mouth and spit it back out as if saying that's gross *lol*
Jasper tho didn't even look at it, guess he could smell that it didn't smell like food heheheh