I've lost two of fish in less than week "help"
I need help!! I just lost my red ruby parrot I've had her 3 yrs. does anyone know if this could be related? All my chemical levels have been right on. Now my Hi fin Shark is laboring hard it's got me worried...:roll:!!!
Can you provide some more information on your tank? Exact levels for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate would be helpful, along with the stocking list for your tank. What's your feeding schedule like, and how much and what types of foods do you feed? Also, what sort of lights do you have (fluorescent? wattage? how many tubes? color temperature in kelvins?) How long do you leave your lights on daily?
Could you maybe describe the algae or, even better, provide a picture of it? Pinpointing the source of an algae problem can be difficult without having an understanding of the type of algae and the conditions in the tank.
I've lost two of fish in less than week "help"
I've got a 125 gal. Fresh. it has a coudy look right now I thought maybe it was taking a turn. All the chem. in it are read fine nitrate 20, nitrie 0, water hard, Kh 120, PH 72 and amo zip, I am treating my tank for beard algae that just started, i have taken out all the things i could take out and have been doing a blackout treatment which I thought was working until, Just now I went in to turn the light back on found my clown pelco dead. My red ruby parrot died two days ago is there a conection to these? We where affected by flood here. We had to go a boil water for a week, do you think that could have something to do with it and if so what can I do?I don't want to lose anymore of my fish I have had some of my fish for several years they are family.... please Help!!!!:cry:
First, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping.
If you are having water issues locally, that may be the source of the cloudiness; heavy rains here cause our water to contain more sediment. This is harmless to fish, though not nice to look into. There is also the question of sudden fluctuations in water parameters, thinking of the pH and hardness. These can be fatal to some fish if severe enough. The cloudiness may or may not have a connection to parameter fluctuations.
Cloudiness can be bacteria-related, or connected to ammonia, though this checks OK you say. So I'll leave that for the moment.
One thing I want to consider is the algae treatment. Am I correct that no chemicals (so-called algae removers) have gone into the tank? Just a blackout? That would not kill the fish. Beard algae occurs when there is a combination of light and nutrients; I will assume there are no plants (correct me if wrong assumption), so the nitrates at 20 while not overly high are only going to provide food for algae in the presence of light. The light can be minimal in intensity and duration if there are no live plants, and a regular weekly water change of 50% should control the nitrates. Just what fish are in this tank?
Thanks for your reply, the ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 20, hard water, Alk Kh 120, Ph 72 Temp 68-72, the water has been cloudy lately, we where in the flood area and we had to boil are water for a week. I went and bought water for the fish. I have now lost two of my fish and I am starting to panic.I don't know if this is from the algae or contaminated water, I have even lost three gold feeder fish, I have a 14''Clown Knife , 14" Pleco , 2 9" Ten Foil Barbs , 1 Red Ruby Parrot, 1 Convict , 1 Striped Raphael Catfish, 2 4-5" Gars and one gold fish that survived the hunt and now is 5"
Some picture's of my Hi Fin Shark
yes I do have live plants five altogether , I have started a post with the freshwater and put some picture with it if want to find me there you can take a look, I have lost two of my fish now and I am now in a panic.!!!
With the fish you have, I would not expect to find dead fish intact but perhaps their remains. When fish die in the aquarium, it doesn't take long for other fish to begin consuming them, And with the large predator such as Gar,smaller fish may have been wounded and then died from their injuries. Do you think this could of happened?
Another thing to consider is the use of guppies for live food source. If guppies are raised by you ,then perhaps there is little cause for concern .But if guppies are store bought,,then considering the often poor conditions they are kept in, a sick guppie (not uncommon) could infect a whole tank full of guppies ,and likewise your tank when offered as live food for your fish.
I live in the Midwest and we too sometimes are placed under boil orders due to flooding and I try not to perform water changes during these times and it has served me well (or maybe just luck).
If I had more room, I would store water in large tub for water changes but my apartment is small.
I have not cared for parrot fish but have read that as hybrids,,they are suceptible to all manner of development issues and these problems often present themselves as the fish continues to grow.
I personally think they are an abomination but to each their own.
For the fish you have,, i would be hesitant in placing fish in the tank that were not very ,very,quick or,,,very large.
I think you could be right about the guppies and water thing , I had resent gotten guppies and some gold fish for the tank for feeders and I have had several of the gold fish die, I am going to do another water change again today, since I just found the dead in the tank yesterday and then more gold fish today. I don't know if the gar are killing them and not being able to eat them because they are to big or if they are just dieing?
There were two distinct threads in different sections on this issue, so I have merged them to this one to keep the issue together. This will prevent us going off in different directions as all members will see the complete thread.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2