Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   share your bad advice storys here (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/share-your-bad-advice-storys-here-43282/)

bubble87 05-19-2010 10:11 AM

share your bad advice storys here

i thought it would be good to post a thread where people can post there bad advice storys and maybe stop other people making the same mistakes.

sorry if anyone has already done this.

ooppss ive posted this in the wrong forum sorry guys im not sure how to move it.

Castro235 05-19-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubble87 (Post 386869)
i thought it would be good to post a thread where people can post there bad advice storys and maybe stop other people making the same mistakes.

sorry if anyone has already done this.

ooppss ive posted this in the wrong forum sorry guys im not sure how to move it.

This could always be a bad advice section of the freshwater aquarium, since I'm sure there are whole different worlds of bad advice to get regarding saltwater tanks since they have all the different live rocks and salt gravities and such.

If this does end up being a freshwater bad advice forum, I can even share the first story.

Was sold 6 common/comet goldfish with a 1 gallon tank with an airstone.

I tihnk that's enough to be said about the story. >.<

SilersAngryMeow 05-19-2010 11:25 AM

I wonder how many freshwater bad advice stories begin with a trip to Petco?? ;) Haha

Mine does! And it ends with "sure, a bala shark, a red-tailed shark, and a common pleco would be great for your 5 gallon tank." Sigh.

Castro235 05-19-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilersAngryMeow (Post 386900)
I wonder how many freshwater bad advice stories begin with a trip to Petco?? ;) Haha

Mine does! And it ends with "sure, a bala shark, a red-tailed shark, and a common pleco would be great for your 5 gallon tank." Sigh.

No petco in my radius, but I was at pet supplies plus one day, and I was actually happy to hear "The goldfish do get very big so they need more room and a filter" and then the woman continued to buy a fantail and a one gallon bowl...

TexasTanker 05-19-2010 08:33 PM

My fresh water advice horror story: " You can start the cycling process by adding ammonia... yeah you can get your fish today and they can go in with it."

My second one: "Water changes are for people that don't know how to use our products. With XY&Z you wouldn't have to do them."

My favorite is: "Yeah, the sting ray would be great in your 29 gallon community tank. You might have to go up to a larger tank in a few years, but I know a guy....." Addendum here, I know a guy who's 3 year old sting ray is outgrowing is 300 gallon tank...

This could go on all night.

Castro235 05-19-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 387377)
My fresh water advice horror story: " You can start the cycling process by adding ammonia... yeah you can get your fish today and they can go in with it."

My second one: "Water changes are for people that don't know how to use our products. With XY&Z you wouldn't have to do them."

My favorite is: "Yeah, the sting ray would be great in your 29 gallon community tank. You might have to go up to a larger tank in a few years, but I know a guy....." Addendum here, I know a guy who's 3 year old sting ray is outgrowing is 300 gallon tank...

This could go on all night.

Add ammonia AND fish???
What kind of torturous jerk would come up with that lol.

I've got my tank fishless cycling, and I'll admit the waiting is going to get to me, but if I added them there'd be a good 90% water change at least to get the ammonia down. geez.

iamntbatman 05-20-2010 03:27 AM

Other than a 2g tank for a betta, my first tank was a 10g. The little info card at Petsmart for iridescent sharks read, "Maximum size 6". Minimum tank size 10g." I bought two. For those who don't know, these fish are fast-swimming schoolers that can grow over four feet long.

1077 05-20-2010 04:03 AM

#One..
The common pleco is a good "cleaner fish" for any aquarium.
#Two..
Bettas don't need same type of care that"regular fish need".
# Three..
Large fish will only grow to the size of tank they're in.
# Four
Using more medication will make fish heal quicker.
(my favorite)