Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Goldfish look bloated? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/goldfish-look-bloated-43256/)

Castro235 05-18-2010 09:33 PM

Goldfish look bloated?

Hey guys, I noticed a few days ago that there were one or two pieces of what seemed like pretty large pieces of waste, roughly twice the length of a freeze dried blood work, and slightly thicker, in my goldfish tank, but looked normal color, not far from the bloodworms that are their main food.

Did some poking online, and it looked like it may have been constipation, and it was suggested to just not feed them for a few days to let it sort itself out, three days of no feeding was yesterday, and today I fed them their bloodworms(They get less than a minute of total eating time once a day, but it seems like they eat a ton in that time, so I'm not sure if I'm overfeeding them there)

When I fed them, I through in two small algae wafers at the other end of the tank to try and keep my malaysian trumpet snails happy, and when I went out there a bit ago, I don't see a hint of the wafers, although the snails seem to be all over my decorations all of a sudden.

It's only been a few hours since I put the algae wafers in there, so I'm assuming the goldfish played a bigger role in their consumption than the snails since it was so fast.

I looked at the goldfish, and they all look like they have slightly bloated bellies, but I'm not sure if it's something i didn't notice before, or if it's from eating too much, or if it's just a normal thing, since I've seen plenty of common and comet goldfish and they do seem to have a pronounced belly when they're bigger.

I've attached some pictures, albeit bad because they're from my phone's camera, so if anyone maybe knows a bit more about goldfish than me, or just fish in general, and could tell me if it seems like something to worry about, or just a normal occurance, or something please let me know!

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...Photo-0253.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...Photo-0254.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...Photo-0255.jpg

Thanks for any help, I figure it's probably something minor, but if it's something I need to watch out for I'd love any help!

iamntbatman 05-19-2010 05:05 AM

Your non-fancy goldies aren't quite as prone to bloating and swim bladder issues as the fancy varieties but nonetheless it's important to avoid those problems by giving them a healthy diet. Goldfish do need some veggies in their diet so it's just fine to feed them things like algae wafers from time to time. The bloodworms might be contributing to the bloating issue; bloodworms make a good treat once or twice a week but shouldn't be fed as the staple of your goldies' diet. I would get your hands on a high quality sinking goldfish pellet and offer that for most meals.

Castro235 05-19-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 386778)
Your non-fancy goldies aren't quite as prone to bloating and swim bladder issues as the fancy varieties but nonetheless it's important to avoid those problems by giving them a healthy diet. Goldfish do need some veggies in their diet so it's just fine to feed them things like algae wafers from time to time. The bloodworms might be contributing to the bloating issue; bloodworms make a good treat once or twice a week but shouldn't be fed as the staple of your goldies' diet. I would get your hands on a high quality sinking goldfish pellet and offer that for most meals.

I usually blanch up a baby carrot, or pea, or some asparagus once in awhile for them, but not regularly, I'll grab some good goldfish pellets the next time I'm at the lfs(probably tomorrow anyway)

Do they look like they have slight bloating though? Or perhaps I'm just crazy?

iamntbatman 05-20-2010 04:02 AM

They do look like they are slightly bloated, especially the middle fish in that bottom picture.

Just make sure the pellets you pick up are the sinking variety as floating pellets will also contribute to bloating.

Castro235 05-20-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 387583)
They do look like they are slightly bloated, especially the middle fish in that bottom picture.

Just make sure the pellets you pick up are the sinking variety as floating pellets will also contribute to bloating.

The biggest one you pointed out(Ryuuji) has seemed to be the pig in the group. He was actually the smaller of the three, but that didn't last long, so I'm guessing he likes to pig out when i feed them.

I poked around the tank, and I noticed that the stash of duckweed I had is pretty much gone, I had thrown a decent amount of duckweed in there, and it all seemed to settle on the bottom of one leaf of a fake plant, I'm guessing it's just where the waterflow took it, but it seems like there's almost nothing left, so I'm thinking maybe that had something to do with it as well.

I'm considering taking my one gallon tank, emptying and cleaning it, and putting Ryuuji and a gallon of his waterg Ryuuji and a gallon of his water into it at feeding time, so I can make sure he isn't overdoing it like I'm guessing has been the case, I don't know if this is advised against for some reason, but I don't see it being an issue to put him with a gallon of his water into a small tank for a few minutes, since I feel like it would be a bit more humane than just keeping him in one spot in the tank with a net or something.

I should be going today once I've gotten my check to grab some better food for them, from what I've heard it seems like Omega One foods are some of the best, so I'll see if I can grab some of their sinking goldfish pellets, unless someone has a better suggestion before I leave.

I'm hoping at this point that he just kind of found the duckweed and pigged out, so I don't have to seperate him for feedings, but I'll be keeping a much closer eye when I feed them from now on, and I'll be switching to a good goldfish specified food for a staple, and leave the bloodworms and blanched veggies to an occasional meal.

iamntbatman 05-21-2010 04:32 AM

Omega One does make good foods in general, but I'm not sure what their goldfish product line is like. Hikari makes some quality goldfish foods. I would think that moving a fish to another tank for feedings every day would be really stressful. Is he eating so much the other fish aren't getting enough to eat?

Edit: Turns out Omega One does make a sinking goldfish pellet (in three different pellet sizes, too!), so that would likely be a good choice.