Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Can I use White Sand for substrate??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/can-i-use-white-sand-substrate-43254/)

RedBelly 05-18-2010 07:37 PM

Can I use White Sand for substrate???

Hi all..i was toying with the idea of swapping out my amazon looking gravel in my 75 gal for some white sand or regular tan color sand.

If i can use sand in my freshwater tank is it ok for african cichlid type of fish..right now i only have a old red belly piranha and catfish.???

Does it get into the filters and cause damage to impellers or clog up the filter pads fast..I have a dual emperor and magnum 350 filter.???

Also what are the pros and cons with using sand..ive always used gravel and dont really know the proper care for sand..is it pretty much care free???

Does sand only buffer out water or change ph or would i have to mix broken up shell gravel with the sand to get a buffer for the water??

Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as possible before i make the switch and i dont want to regret it.

xrayjeeper83 05-18-2010 09:31 PM

Wash it really well and you dont have to worry about it getting sucked into the filters. Alot of people on here use sand. Ive got sand in my 5 gallon and play sand is going into my 55

teddyzaper 05-18-2010 09:55 PM

yup should be fine. just make sure to wash it really well. i cant seem to find the thread but someone put a thread on how to clean it correctly. anyways hopefully someone cna link you it.

aunt kymmie 05-18-2010 10:46 PM

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...utorial-28436/

:-)

RedBelly 05-19-2010 12:09 AM

thanks for the info guys.i googled about sand and african cichlids and they actually go good together especially if you get the coral sand that raises ph since the cichlids like the higher ph.

i think this will be my next project coming up:-D

iamntbatman 05-19-2010 03:58 AM

Are you rehoming the fish you have now?

RedBelly 05-19-2010 10:33 AM

still havent decided.i thought maybe putting both my fish in a big tupperware for a few hrs until the sand gets settled and i can turn the filters on.Right now im up in the air about a crushed coral sand subtrate or black gravel.

JohnnyD44 05-19-2010 11:26 AM

I tried to vote in your link, but i think the link is busted....

I have a penguin 200 bio-wheel in my 20G sand bottom...I also have corrries in that tank, from experience, I can recommend one thing...I would trim the intake tube on your filter so it's not too close to the bottom. My corries and other fish splashed in the sand it did get into my propeller, and I ended up just buying a new filter.

Other than that the only thing as far as maintence is to 'rake' the sand when you do a pwc....i keep a plastic fork and sorta 'plow' the sand, so to speak. it helps to break up gas build up that may be building below the surface.

RedBelly 05-19-2010 01:05 PM

Yea i read online about the toxic gases you have to release every couple weeks with sand.Im worried about sand and my piranaha bc he def acts spiratic sometimes and wouldnt doubt that sand can get kicked up in the water and into the filter.i def dont want to replace a filter bc of that.my magnum inlet is high up but my emperor is about 6" above the gravel so that would have to be cut.

Does crushed coral have a thicker consistency then sand..im guessing it does and i guess i wouldnt have to worry about the filters if i went this route.

Right now im up in the air between black gravel,white sand and crush coral.

Byron 05-19-2010 08:00 PM

You pretty much asked the same question in another thread, and I commented there. Byron.