Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Second lighting fixture on 44g? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/second-lighting-fixture-44g-43081/)

Austin 05-15-2010 08:37 PM

Second lighting fixture on 44g?

I just realized my 44g has another glass slot for another lighting fixture.

Was just wondering if it's possible to add another set of lights later on....

I'm just curious, because, if the light/nutrient are in balance, wouldn't adding another light disturb this? Would I just need to increase nutrients/fish load? Would it even be ideal to add a second light? I think it would help....

But if I were to add it, would I want to add it now, or would later be ok?

Austin 05-16-2010 06:17 PM

Also, forgot to add, do you think it's in my best interest for my plants to go get a second light?

aunt kymmie 05-16-2010 10:38 PM

Remind me what type of fixture you have (bulb Kelvin rating) and the watts you are currently running?
What type of plants are in the tank?

Austin 05-16-2010 10:45 PM

Here Kymmie:

1 x Bacopa Australis = $1.65
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green = $0.96
1 x Pennywort (Hydocotyle Leucocephyala) = $1.95
1 x Nymphaea Stellata Bulbs (Dwarf Lily) = $1.00
1 x Vallisneria Spiralis 'Leopard' (Italian Leopard Val) = $1.00
2 x Echinodorus Bleheri (Amazon Sword) SM = $3.00
1 x Cryptocoryne Walkeri = $1.20
1 x Nymphea Lotus Red (Red Tiger Lotus) = $4.50
1 x Anubias Barteri Var. Glabra (Minima) = $3.20
1 x Java Fern (Microsorium Pteropus) = $2.00
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red = $0.96

I have a 15 watt 6700k tube. it's around 1090 lumens I THINK. It's a life glo bulb.

I think i can afford a second fixture so if it's bes tI'll get one. :)

Austin 05-17-2010 03:08 AM

Btw, there is only java moss in the tank at the moment, those plants are what I am ordering and should be here tomorrow (later today...)

Angel079 05-17-2010 07:30 AM

Pers would find 2x15watt over a 44g quite borderline. How's your plant growth as it is? Do you see any ill plants/ leaves (yellowing, holes in leaves etc etc).
If things grow nice as is, I'd not suggest to change it; if you believe to have growth troubles let's evaluate the rest of the set up first before adding another light.

aunt kymmie 05-17-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 385524)
Pers would find 2x15watt over a 44g quite borderline. How's your plant growth as it is? Do you see any ill plants/ leaves (yellowing, holes in leaves etc etc).
If things grow nice as is, I'd not suggest to change it; if you believe to have growth troubles let's evaluate the rest of the set up first before adding another light.

The plants aren't in the tank yet as they are arriving any day. Natalie, you think 30 watts over a 44gl is borderline? I don't think it is. I have 130watts over a 100 gl which is roughly 1.3 watts per gallon. If Austin does 30 watts over a 44 gl he doesn't even have 1 watt per gallon. Austin's plant list and bulb specs are nearly identical to mine.

Austin 05-17-2010 11:46 AM

Thanks for the answers. =)

Anyways, ya, plants are not in the tank yet.

I thought 15 w over 44g was really pushing it on lights not being enough, but figured I'd try it anyways. But since it's an option now to add another light, if it'd help anything I can add one. ^_^.

I guess since it's kinda split I'll wait for some more replies.... :]

Byron 05-17-2010 08:07 PM

The watts per gallon is not reliable. It works as a rough guide for regular T8 tubes on larger tanks. But on smaller tanks it can be very far off. The important criteria is the type of light and its intensity, and watts is not a measure of intensity, only of power used for the light. You can have a 40w tube and a 32w tube that produce the same intensity; the wattage difference is how the tube is made. Similarly, Life-Glo 40w tubes emit 320 lumens or something, and Aqua-Glo 40w emits half that [may have the numbers off, going from memory].

The other critical point is that the more light the more nutrients will be needed. Tom Barr has written, and I totally agree, start off with the absolute minimum amount of light and balance the nutrients; then if issues arise (as Natalie has mentioned) increasing the light intensity may be one solution.

It is a fact that the majority of aquarium plants will grow fine with much less light that many use. And less light is easier on the fish, and is more likely to avoid algae issues.

P.S. I have 80w of full spectrum over my 115g, that is under 1 watt per gallon, which illustrates the inaccuracy of watts per gallon. On my 70g I have the same two tubes, 80w, and that tank has the algae issues.

Austin 05-17-2010 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Byron, So you think I shouldn't get the light yet? I just didn't know, whether this light will be enough for all the plants I ordered, or if I need another light to support growth at all. How will I tell if the plants are not getting enough light?

Also, a totally random question, but do you think my leopard val will be ok in low light cus it's kinda in the shaded back area but I want it as a background plant, but idk if it will get enough light.

By the way, I got my plants! :D Everything came nice as usual, except the red tiger lotus seemed a tiny bit beaten up. :( But hopefully it perks up!

The internal filters come tomorrow.