Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Skipping a cycle by having all used stuff? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/skipping-cycle-having-all-used-stuff-43012/)

Castro235 05-14-2010 09:54 PM

Skipping a cycle by having all used stuff?

Hey guys, I've been bugging everyone about everything, and one of the things involved a 1 gallon tank to be used for snails and possibly a very small number of shrimp.

Well I was just thinking about it, and how awkward so small of a tank would be to cycle and such, but I was curious if the thought I just had would be right or wrong.

If I were to have a sponge filter in my established 10 gallon tank, as well as a cup filled with sand, and some decorations, and left it all in there for a month, and moved the filter, sand, plants/ decor all into the empty 1 gallon tank, along with a gallon of water, would the tank theoretically be ready to go without the need for a cycle?

I would test the water before putting anything in there, I just didn't know if there was a big hole in this that i was missing.

eileen 05-14-2010 10:15 PM

It can be done. You can use Hornsworth and Anubia help with the water in a tank. Java ferns and Java fern require low light. I don't think you can put shrimps in right away as they are sensitive to new tank set ups. Some small snails would be ok but they will multiply except for Assassin snails but you would have to feed them bloodworms or some kind of protein food as they eat other snails.

You can use the water from your existing tank and use some gravel or sand from your existing tank for the bottom. It will not need a filter if you do water changes with treated water a couple of times a week.

Try putting White Cloud minnows in that tiny tank as they like cooler water maybe 3 small ones or better yet a trio of male endlers. They are like guppies but smaller in size. They are sometimes used as feeder fish. I would do a 2 gal. instead of a 1 gal. as a 2 gal. you can get a heater at Walmart for about $7 and they do not make heaters for a 1 gal. tank.

You can also get those big plastic containers at Costco that has prezels in them and use those after you eat whats inside and they make good small tanks of 3 gal. with a sponge filter and a air pump and a small heater. A small desk lamp over head to light it up. I think someone posted a small jar tank that they made for their kids in the bathroom that had shrimps inside. I would start out with the Ghost shrimps because they are cheap as feeder shrimps before you get the more expensive Red cherry shrimps. Let us know how that goes for you. You can alway Google small nano jar tanks to see what other people have done.

aunt kymmie 05-14-2010 10:17 PM

As long as the items being moved over are from a cycled tank it would work perfectly, instant cycle. :-)

Castro235 05-14-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 384238)
It can be done. You can use Hornsworth and Anubia help with the water in a tank.
goes for you. You can alway Google small nano jar tanks to see what other people have done.

I won't be getting a bigger tank unortunately as this is a tank I like the look of, and have sitting around without use. I plan on using my 10 gallon tank as a shrimp farm for red cherry shrimp once it's free to be used, and I figured I would take a few juveniles from it when the one gallon seemed stable and healthy enough for them, or if they were doing well in the ten gallon and had some juveniles when I did set up the 1 gallon I would put some over at that point since it would seem more like a clone of the healthy tank than a new tank per say.

I have java moss and java fern on it's way to being delivered to me, and that will be the main plants in my tanks, since with the goldfish it seems like it's my best bet for the non-tropical temperatures, and with the shrimp, the java moss seems like a great breeding grounds for them, so a little bit of both would be going to planting the 1 gallon when I switched everything over.

I will be doing regular water changes on it, but it seems like so many water changes will end up messing with the water stability more than is necessary with the shrimp, so I would prefer having a sponge filter in it to be on the safe side of things, so I can keep my water changes down to small quantities, like maybe a quarter or less one to three times a week preferably, since such a small volume of water seems like it would be pretty easy to upset.

If this all seems to go well and I do end up with a little bit of extra money, I would definitely love to set up a 3 or even 5 gallon tank instead, but for now it's more of finding a use for the small tank, and having some cute little guys to watch on my desk, which is unfortunately glass, so I don't trust much weight on it, hence the tiny one gallon tank.

JouteiMike 05-14-2010 11:41 PM

That's the only way I've set up new tanks, works beautifully. Good luck!

Castro235 05-14-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JouteiMike (Post 384259)
That's the only way I've set up new tanks, works beautifully. Good luck!

Awesome to hear success doing what I plan to!

1077 05-15-2010 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro235 (Post 384253)
I won't be getting a bigger tank unortunately as this is a tank I like the look of, and have sitting around without use. I plan on using my 10 gallon tank as a shrimp farm for red cherry shrimp once it's free to be used, and I figured I would take a few juveniles from it when the one gallon seemed stable and healthy enough for them, or if they were doing well in the ten gallon and had some juveniles when I did set up the 1 gallon I would put some over at that point since it would seem more like a clone of the healthy tank than a new tank per say.

I have java moss and java fern on it's way to being delivered to me, and that will be the main plants in my tanks, since with the goldfish it seems like it's my best bet for the non-tropical temperatures, and with the shrimp, the java moss seems like a great breeding grounds for them, so a little bit of both would be going to planting the 1 gallon when I switched everything over.

I will be doing regular water changes on it, but it seems like so many water changes will end up messing with the water stability more than is necessary with the shrimp, so I would prefer having a sponge filter in it to be on the safe side of things, so I can keep my water changes down to small quantities, like maybe a quarter or less one to three times a week preferably, since such a small volume of water seems like it would be pretty easy to upset.

If this all seems to go well and I do end up with a little bit of extra money, I would definitely love to set up a 3 or even 5 gallon tank instead, but for now it's more of finding a use for the small tank, and having some cute little guys to watch on my desk, which is unfortunately glass, so I don't trust much weight on it, hence the tiny one gallon tank.

What you are planning will work well as long as the tank(10 gal) that you borrow the material from is cycled.
Sponge filter is wise decision.
Wouldn't bother with using water from the ten gal for it will hold very little useful bacteria. The majority of the bacteria in this case ,will be in the sponge filter and sponge filter will be perfect for shrimps who can feed from that which gathers on the sponge as well as plants.
Would by no means place a goldfish in one gallon but shrimps would thrive.

Castro235 05-15-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 384285)
What you are planning will work well as long as the tank(10 gal) that you borrow the material from is cycled.
Sponge filter is wise decision.
Wouldn't bother with using water from the ten gal for it will hold very little useful bacteria. The majority of the bacteria in this case ,will be in the sponge filter and sponge filter will be perfect for shrimps who can feed from that which gathers on the sponge as well as plants.
Would by no means place a goldfish in one gallon but shrimps would thrive.

Oh lord no on the goldfish lol.

About 2 months ago I was sold this same one gallon tank with 6 goldfish, one goldfish cannabalized two, and he got rehomed to the lfs for it.

These goldfishies will be going into my 55 gallon when it's done cycling, and their home will be a shrimp farm, as well as providing a few shrimp for the 1 gallon if things go well.

I don't expect the water to hold much value, just figure I might as well take as much as I can from good conditions to get things started as stable as possible.