Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   what are your views on fishless cycling & cycling with fish?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-your-views-fishless-cycling-cycling-42910/)

bubble87 05-13-2010 08:19 AM

what are your views on fishless cycling & cycling with fish??

what method do you use??

i prefer to cycle with prawns personally and its always worked well for me.

xrayjeeper83 05-13-2010 09:24 AM

i was on another forum and get yelled at for saying i was going to cycle with fish, cause how much stress that fish would be in.

Im going to cycle with plants and snails

aunt kymmie 05-13-2010 09:38 AM

Before I knew any better I cycled my first tank with fish. Now I cycle with plants and a handful of media from one of my other tanks. Instant cycle. If I were to do an unplanted tank I would also use the prawn method.

Mr Fishy 05-13-2010 10:46 AM

I've always used the ammonia and media from another tank method with lights out. I'm not a patient guy usually, but I don't want to be harming any living thing either.

Pep 05-13-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 383084)
Before I knew any better I cycled my first tank with fish. Now I cycle with plants and a handful of media from one of my other tanks. Instant cycle. If I were to do an unplanted tank I would also use the prawn method.

+1

SilersAngryMeow 05-13-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Fishy (Post 383127)
I've always used the ammonia and media from another tank method with lights out. I'm not a patient guy usually, but I don't want to be harming any living thing either.

This. I'm horribly impatient usually, but my dislike for causing something suffering outweighs my need to have it done NOW, RIGHT THIS SECOND!!!

I loved setting up a new planted tank, though. Minimal wait time! :D

Mikaila31 05-14-2010 03:02 PM

I cycled with fish first time. Since then I instant cycle with mature media. It works on a unplanted tank just fine for me. Half the time I add fish then wait a few hours before swapping media over. Had success doing this with things like rummy nosed tetras. I tried a fishless cycle once, but totall failed and stalled the cycle by letting ammonia get to high. I wanted to say I've done it before, but I never really have successfully done a fishless cycle:lol:.

iamntbatman 05-19-2010 04:53 AM

I like the shrimp method. Pretty foolproof, low maintenance and has a very easy cleanup. I haven't done one of these in a while, though; I usually just buy the filter, slap it on an existing tank then move the whole filter to the new tank and add fish.

outpost 05-21-2010 12:49 AM

Iamntbatman how long do you keep the new filter on the existing tank?
Posted via Mobile Device

iamntbatman 05-21-2010 04:32 AM

I'm usually pretty patient so I'll leave it on there for a month or so before putting it on the new tank and adding fish.