Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I dont get it. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-dont-get-42751/)

mattbak73 05-11-2010 01:55 AM

I dont get it.

OK this is gonna be long. I started a ten gallon tank, didn't cycle it cuz i didn't know bout that stuff. Everything died.....every time. so finally i learned about ammonia and other such things. I finally got the tank cycled and ammonia levels stay low with out ammo lock or anything of the sort. The problem is the tank still has algae in it.

I also have a 5 gallon tank. I started it with just a dragon fish and a small air pump driven filter. The tank was so dirty after a week i couldn't see anything in it and by this time the tank had 7 gold fish (the small food kind for bigger fish) 8 ghost shrimp and 1 sucker fish (cant spell its name). So i went and got a regular electric filter and some anti algae pills and did a 80 percent water change and the water is clearer then thin air.

I have since done that with the ten gallon tank although it always had a electric filter and the water is still foggy and the algae still grows on the filter.

Both tanks have the proper size heaters and filters. The 10 gallon tank has 2 small cat fish like...fish.. 3 fiddler crabs and a sucker fish who i think got messed up bad during the last of the ammonia problems.. but they all are alive and active, except the sucker fish who is alive but not active. it just lays on the floor of the tank and doesn't move much but does move, he is never in the same spot.

So to some it up why do i still have algae in my big tank and not in the small tank? I have used ten times the anti algae pills on the 10 as i have in the 5 gallon tank, did a 80% water change twice and its still foggy and slowly gets worse over time. What do i do?

Austin 05-11-2010 02:03 AM

I think the antialgae pills are a waste you should be able to solve algae problems without them.

There is always going to be some algae inside fish tanks. Mostly on glass I think. You can clean this off with your regular water changes.

The first issue that comes to mind is running your lights too long. How long do you leave them on?

Also 7 gold fish in a 5 gallon tank? I hope this is in the past...

iamntbatman 05-11-2010 06:54 AM

Welcome to TFK!

Can you describe the algae? Pictures would be extra helpful. Some types of algae are more normal than others; some just sort of come naturally (especially in newly established tanks) while others are indicative of another problem, such as excess lighting or nutrients.

Could you maybe give more detailed descriptions of the fish you have, or possibly post pictures of them? I hate to break it to you, but you might have some really serious stocking issues there.

mattbak73 05-11-2010 12:50 PM

see thats what i dont get the small tank is clearly over stocked but their happy as can be they all lived thru a 8 ppm ammonia spike and are all doing fine in a nice clear tank. i dont however believe 3 crabs and 3 fish is over stock in a 10 gallon tank. i will post pics soon.

mattbak73 05-11-2010 11:02 PM

now the ammonia is way high again. what the heck is going on?

Mr Fishy 05-11-2010 11:51 PM

If there's any ammonia reading at all it means the tank either hasn't cycled or something has been done to kill the bacteria and effectively reset everything.

What are you using to clean the tank and the filter media?

mattbak73 05-12-2010 12:44 AM

only stuff i use is a chemical used to make tap water safe and anti ammonia stuff.

Mr Fishy 05-12-2010 08:51 AM

Have you been using the anti ammonia stuff since the very beginning? If so, there's the problem, it stopped the tank from cycling.

mattbak73 05-12-2010 01:15 PM

not from the start no i started after 6 fish and 8 crabs died. thats all together they were all in there at the same time. so should i just stop treating the tank and let it do its thing even thuo it might kill the fish?

Mr Fishy 05-12-2010 02:42 PM

Replace the filter media in the established tank and put the removed media in the filter on the tank with the issues. Do 50% water changes and keep an eye on the ammonia levels. That's a start anyway.