Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Remember Me? Now Tank is Doing Great!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/remember-me-now-tank-doing-great-42739/)

RedBelly 05-10-2010 07:23 PM

Remember Me? Now Tank is Doing Great!!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All! Dunno if any of you guys remember but i had a 75 gal with a redbelly with the Old Tank Syndrom.
Low Ph in the high 3's and ammonia through the roof(thank god ammonia doesnt effect fish with low PH!

Well after keeping up on water changes(15%) every two weeks my tank is doing great!Finally.

It took a few months to get it back on track and with the help of you guys ive been using the products prime and stability and stress zyme.i used to use a bunch of crap out of the bottles that only hurt my tank but now its got a 6.5PH close to 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrite!

I attached a pic of my tank let me know what you think...My filters is a 350 magnum and dual emperor with a circulation pump and 2 heaters.The only fish i have right now is a 10 year old red belly and spotted catfish.i plan on getting some brine shrimp and maybe a blue lobster and some plants!

iamntbatman 05-11-2010 05:18 AM

Cool fish! Do you intend the brine shrimp and blue lobster to be pets, or food? Brine shrimp only live in hypersaline water and would definitely get eaten; I think the piranha would most likely eat the lobster, too.

RedBelly 05-11-2010 08:10 PM

yea ive had brine shrimp in the past and overtime gotten eaten but not by the piranaha..i had a blue electric fish that was highly aggressive.my piranaha behaves when he eats.if he goes more that a couple days wtihout food he might go for the shrimp.since then ive gotten rid of the blue electric and figure if i get a decent amount of the shrimp they might breed and survive.their good bottom floor cleaners.

i have a spotted catfish that the piranha doesnt mess with.the catfish keeps to his own and only really comes out when he senses food.

iamntbatman 05-12-2010 05:12 AM

Do you mean ghost shrimp rather than brine shrimp?

RedBelly 05-12-2010 10:44 AM

lol yea my bad.brine shrimp are like microscopic

redchigh 05-12-2010 02:30 PM

Yes I was wondering too...

Maybe breed red cherries in a seperate tank as feeders though? a 10G would work well as a breeder tank I bet.

RedBelly 05-12-2010 04:10 PM

yea thats a good idea maybe i ll try that when i get some extra cash.right now im just feeding the piranah and catfish 1 cube of frozen brine shirmp every other day.

id like to just throw in a feeder once a day and watch him go to town.

aunt kymmie 05-12-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBelly (Post 382618)
yea thats a good idea maybe i ll try that when i get some extra cash.right now im just feeding the piranah and catfish 1 cube of frozen brine shirmp every other day.

id like to just throw in a feeder once a day and watch him go to town.

Really? That's all he gets, one cube? It looks like he could easily down four cubes in a sitting and still want more!
What king of spotted cat fish do you have? Is he in one of the pictures?? If he is I couldn't see him.

RedBelly 05-12-2010 08:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
yea the piranha could eat 2 or 3 cubes a day easy.but if i fed him that much his crap and food that falls will cause the ammonia to jump through the roof.id have to do water changed atleast once a week.

i dont know what kind of catfish this is maybe someone can tell me...

hes def a beut and is one of my favorites...does anyone know how big these catfish get..he seems kinda small and ive had him for about 6 months.i dunno if the previos water conditions stunted his growth as he did have eye cloud for a little bit...

btw he only comes out really when food is dropped in and i think at night he scavanges around..def catfish like.

aunt kymmie 05-12-2010 09:01 PM

It looks like some sort of Synodontis species to me. Whatever he is, he's a cool looking catfish. I love catfish. Weekly water changes are a good thing! :-)