Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Male platy harassing female guppy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/male-platy-harassing-female-guppy-42661/)

Starbright 05-09-2010 05:07 PM

Male platy harassing female guppy

Both of them are yellow (if that has anything to do with anything..) I've read everywhere that platies and guppies can't mate. Why else would my male platy be pressing up to my guppy and follow her everywhere?! I have a community of 3 other female guppies and 2 other male platies... and he shows no interest for any other guppy o.O

He's not doing any damage... just pressing up against her all the time..

TexasTanker 05-09-2010 09:10 PM

Platy and Molly males, I know, are insatiable. My male platy have four females of his species but will bother the molly and guppy females also. Same with the male molly. He will even fin nip if he gets separated from his females. If I were you, I'd get about four more FEMALE platy, and 1 male Guppy. This should ease your female guppy's stress. and give everyone someone their own size to play with.

Starbright 05-09-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 380556)
Platy and Molly males, I know, are insatiable. My male platy have four females of his species but will bother the molly and guppy females also. Same with the male molly. He will even fin nip if he gets separated from his females. If I were you, I'd get about four more FEMALE platy, and 1 male Guppy. This should ease your female guppy's stress. and give everyone someone their own size to play with.

Thank's for the reply! :-D

The problem is that I only have a 10 gallon :[ I recently got a female betta and she's been "breaking up" all these little fights... haha! She's so cute. But since I'd rather give her more space, I'm rehoming some of my other fish.

Do you recommend me giving away the 3 platies or 4 female guppies? (I can't separate with one of my female guppies tho.. she's adorable) They'll go in my friend's 80ish gallon tropical community tank.

Btw is that your tank in your avatar? That's amazing!!! :shock:

TexasTanker 05-09-2010 09:26 PM

That's my 55 gallon work in progress. Thank you! I just put a handful of fish in it yesterday for the first time. It's soooo not ready, but my ten gallon was overstocked.

Honestly, I'd say get rid of the platy, but I'd worry about the betta nipping the guppy's fins. If you keep the platy, you may wanna trade around some so you have one male and a handful of females. They're quick so they should be okay with the beta if she's proven to be somewhat mild mannered. With those it is really trial and error. No matter which you keep, you should keep a handful of that kind, so they have something to school with.

Starbright 05-09-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 380563)
That's my 55 gallon work in progress. Thank you! I just put a handful of fish in it yesterday for the first time. It's soooo not ready, but my ten gallon was overstocked.

Honestly, I'd say get rid of the platy, but I'd worry about the betta nipping the guppy's fins. If you keep the platy, you may wanna trade around some so you have one male and a handful of females. They're quick so they should be okay with the beta if she's proven to be somewhat mild mannered. With those it is really trial and error. No matter which you keep, you should keep a handful of that kind, so they have something to school with.

Man that gravel must be tough to keep in order!

My females are just plain guppies that my lfs got from a breeder... so they're basically the rejects (haha). They barely have any color in them.. nothing that would attract my betta's attention. That yellow play would much rather hang with the guppies and betta... he gets picked on by my other two male platies :-(

I'll probably rehome one female guppy and two male platies. Just because my red wag platy is SO mean to my yellow one.. If he stresses from lack of kin, I'll give him to my friend as well :]

I have seen mild aggression from my female betta. She'll stare down a fish and chase them for a second or two.. but that's all. I hope it doesn't turn in to something big ._."

TexasTanker 05-10-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbright (Post 380572)
Man that gravel must be tough to keep in order!

I have a drilled and vented thin plexi glass frame to keep it separated. it took three tries until I got it the way I wanted. then I had to bond it to a T shape. Then round off the edges. There will actually be more gravel in the tank but I need to plant it and get everything situated. Wait til you see the "live pine tree" lol