Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Electicity Out (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/electicity-out-4265/)

Fuzz 03-15-2007 06:01 PM

Electicity Out

What happens when the electricity goes out for a couple of hours mabe even days? The fish wont have a heater or filter!

musho3210 03-15-2007 06:22 PM

well if its left unattended the die. If you have a large tank that is a thriving eco-system you can buy power-generators which turn on when the power goes out. You can do the same with small tanks. If there is a power outage you should float your bio-filter media in the water and do 10% water changes every few hours to keep oxygen levels up and prevent anaerobic spots. Or you could buy battery operated air pumps which are becoming increasingly popular.

Fuzz 03-15-2007 06:26 PM

musho: how much are they? I just spent 70$ on fish supplies (buffering,Ph increase, nitrate remover, stress reliever. ich remover,)
I don't have much more fish money- about 20$ is all I can afford. I have a 10g.

musho3210 03-15-2007 06:29 PM

well you wont really need a generator in a tank that small unless you dont think you can sleep at night without thinking of it. Just buy a battery operated air pump and get a sponge filter, when the power goes out the sponge filter will still be on so the loss will be minimal, it will also be a good idea to float the bio filter media in the tank to prevent it from drying out. If you really want a power generator i can try to find one for you.

Fuzz 03-15-2007 07:10 PM

Thanks for the offer, I'll try to get one at local fish stores.

*sorry about all the questions*

I am new to the fish thing

magic_marty 03-15-2007 07:28 PM

Another possible solution when the electric goes off is to use a dc to ac power inverter..They turn your cars 12 volt battery into a 110 v ac source and depending on what size you get you could prolly run the filter and heater off it..But you will need to periodically start your vehicle to recharge its battery..
Probably a 400 watt inverter would support a 55 and under tank..I don't know how fast it would drain the car battery though..

Andyandsue 03-16-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic_marty
Another possible solution when the electric goes off is to use a dc to ac power inverter..They turn your cars 12 volt battery into a 110 v ac source and depending on what size you get you could prolly run the filter and heater off it..But you will need to periodically start your vehicle to recharge its battery..
Probably a 400 watt inverter would support a 55 and under tank..I don't know how fast it would drain the car battery though..

Good suggestion! My husband did this for our sump pump in the basment in case of power failure, but it's not hooked up to a car... He has an degree in electrical engineering (and I don't!) so I have no idea how he actually hooked it all up, but I know he said he used an ac to dc power converter.