Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Snail problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/snail-problem-42649/)

Welsh 05-09-2010 03:26 PM

Snail problem

I have a small problem with hitch hikers. I was thinking about getting a loach but was wondering whether these eat all snails including mystery snails, as I have one of these.

kelly528 05-10-2010 12:29 AM

Well mystery snails are pretty stinkin big, you might as well just pick it out of the tank! And I don't believe they can reproduce without another mystery snail. They're hermaphroditic, but don't confuse this with asexual.

The right loach would depend on your tank size. Also bear in mind that the majority of loaches need to be kept in groups which is a really good way to overstock your tank.

If you can lay your hands on one (this will be an internet order unless you have a LFS that can bring one in for you) I highly recommend the Batik Loach (noemachelius triangularis). They stay small (2-3 inches) and are suitable for a 10-20g tank. Extremely attractive patterning and they are solitary so you don't need to buy a while school of them. And of course they will eat small snails like bladder snails and baby ramshorns. They can be a bit nasty sometimes (as can the majority of loaches) but they will only chase other fish away from their hidey hole, they don't typically pick fights for no reason.

Also, I hear cherry shrimp eat pond/bladder snail eggs and that makes a lot of sense to me... snails have been a rare sight since I introduced some cherry shrimp to my tank. There are always a few cruising around but nowhere NEAR as many as I used to get. Excellent population control IMO.

iamntbatman 05-11-2010 06:49 AM

Other than the loach kelly mentioned I can't think of any snail-eating loaches that would really fit in a tank of that size in appropriate numbers. I've never seen a Batik loach myself, though, so if you do get your hands on one be sure to post pictures! Also, I think snail-eating loaches generally have an "upper limit" on the size of snails they'll attempt to eat, so your mystery snail could be safe. Don't quote me on that, though; generally it's not a good idea to put snail-eating loaches into a tank with snails that you want to keep around.

AaronCombs 05-16-2010 01:57 AM

slice of cucumber, let it sit for a day .... pull it out and trash it.
Snails will attach to the cucumber slice.

Cheap quick fix... however if it misses any snails, just wait a few days and do again, unless you can pull them out by hand. I was referring to the baby snails mostly.

1077 05-16-2010 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCombs (Post 384979)
slice of cucumber, let it sit for a day .... pull it out and trash it.
Snails will attach to the cucumber slice.

Cheap quick fix... however if it misses any snails, just wait a few days and do again, unless you can pull them out by hand. I was referring to the baby snails mostly.

I like this method. Can also place a net on the bottom of the tank and place the veggies or algae wafers in the net. Works best if you do it at night. In the morning simply remove the net and any snails that came for the picnic during the evening when they are most active.

aunt kymmie 05-16-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 385007)
I like this method. Can also place a net on the bottom of the tank and place the veggies or algae wafers in the net. Works best if you do it at night. In the morning simply remove the net and any snails that came for the picnic during the evening when they are most active.

Nice tip. I'll use it. I have been using the cucumber method but it seems every time when I remove it half of the snails on the cucumber slice fall off back into the tank. Netting sounds like the perfect solution. Is there no end to your tips and tricks? :-)

eileen 05-16-2010 12:00 PM

I like Assassin snails. They reproduce really slow and you need a male or female to produce baby snails and they are really pretty looking. I stuck some pond snails from my unfiltered tub pond in a container of Assassins as I had to move them out of my 55 gal. because I bought 2 yo yo loaches and they ate about 5 pond snails in that time no insides just empty snail shells. I have about 14 Assassin snails. I moved them all in my 10 gal. I have a tiny mts snail problem from hitch hiker snails on plants. The Assassin snail will go after a Big Mystery snail also. If you have a spare tank to put the Mystery snail for awhile while you get some loaches or assassin snail to control the problem.