Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Help recommend me a filter? ^_^ (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/help-recommend-me-filter-_-42644/)

Austin 05-09-2010 12:41 PM

Help recommend me a filter? ^_^

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of buying

https://www.petsolutions.com/Default...temID=30102431

2 of the "CASCADE 300" for my 44g planted tank.

But I was wondering if 1 "CASCADE 400" would work just as well if not better.

I have one cascade 300 in my 29g and it works great and my tank is on the brink of a little overstocked.

Let me know what ya'll think. :)

JohnnyD44 05-09-2010 07:43 PM

I've never used that filter before, but I've heard good things about them. If you're looking at a planted tank, I would recommend some kind of canister filter....something which will minimize the disruption on the surface to keep your plants healthy....

you're on the right path with a submersible filter though.

Austin 05-09-2010 07:56 PM

Well, I'm a bit tight atm with money do you think these could work? All the canister filters I've seen are quite expensive.

xrayjeeper83 05-09-2010 08:38 PM

Im in the same boat, what canister filters do you suggest?

Mr Fishy 05-09-2010 11:29 PM

I've always loved the Fluval canisters and I would have one on my new setup but the cost was just too much after buying everything else.But the Aquaclear 110 seems to be doing its job even though it is a planted tank.

rsn48 05-10-2010 01:13 AM

I would suspect in Southern California there should be some active selling of used aquarium equipment, I know here in Vancouver locally we have an active buy/sell area. I've bought a used aquarium from a Vancouver listing. Consider Eheim's or Rena's and look for used unit.

There are many varieties so first Google Eheim, then Rena to see what models would be suitable in your tank. Eheim have "classic" filters, these are the cheapest, I have an Eheim Ecco 2232 that works well in my 20 gallon tank. You might want to consider the next model up.

I'm not familiar with the Rena models but I know the filters are decent. But do check out the used market. Also its worth joining an aquarium club (Google or ask at your local retailer where on might be) as they have auctions very frequently. The club I belong to ($20/year) has auctions at every meeting, but two meetings a year, spring and fall, are reserved for the "big" stuff. At the last one you could have picked up aquariums, lighting, heaters, canister filters, plants, wood, substrate, fish, books, and a host of other goodies I can remember. Most items are almost given away. An Eheim 2217 was sold for $35.

Here's a link to begin your "canister education:"

http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_...er_filters.php

iamntbatman 05-10-2010 06:45 AM

I don't really like internal filters just because they're ugly and take up so much space in your tank.

Getting used stuff is a good idea. Maybe post an ad in the classifieds here and check your local craigslist? For example, someone on my local craigslist is selling a used Eheim 2217 (which would be overkill on a 44g) for $50.

JohnnyD44 05-10-2010 09:59 AM

yeah, you can check out craigslist for used stuff. thats where I got one of my 55G tanks. It can be quite beneficial. I don't know how tight you are on money right now, but if you're looking to spend but I found my Marineland Magnum 350 online for $120, shipped.

one thing I did notice after re-checking out your link, I noticed something you'll want to re-consider.

The cascade 300 only filters, only filters a 10G tank. Even, with two of those, you're only looking at filtration for a 20G tank, which is only gets your about halfway to your goal. Over-filtering is never a bad thing, I have enough on of my 55G to filter a 125G tank.

If you plan on a heavy stock load, and a planted aquaria, you will need to re-consider your filtration. You could use the '600 model', but again you may want to consider "over filtering"...the other benefit with that is, if for some reason one filter dies, you'll have back-up on your tanks.

I would look into a used canister or trying to bite the bullet and get a new one, they're pretty sweet!

bones14 05-10-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrayjeeper83 (Post 380450)
Im in the same boat, what canister filters do you suggest?

I bought the Rena XP1 for my 37g planted tank and am very happy with.Their also a little more affordable than some of the others I looked which is why I got it.

Austin 05-10-2010 12:07 PM

Well, the 10 gallon filter works perfectly in my 29g. Unless it isn't and I just don't know.

I'm a bit apprehensive about finding a used one... mainly because I've never gone about finding used aquarium supplies before. I don't know how to do it. And, online I just feel paranoid meeting people from there and it's a hassle and I don't like used stuff cus I'm worried it'll be broken or have something wrong with it that isn't apparent at first... so idk...

Not completely throwing the idea out.. I just might get this now and when I have the money for a new canister get one...