Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   30 gal to 55 gal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/30-gal-55-gal-42585/)

teddyzaper 05-08-2010 12:14 PM

30 gal to 55 gal

Hi,

Since im getting rid of the fish in my 55 gal tank, i will have an empty tank, and why you a abbsesed geek like me put away a tank when ive spent more than $10 on it :lol:. What i want to do with the tank is make it a lushious planted tank. I will move all the fish, plants, and driftwood from my 30 gal to my 55 gal, buy more plants, find more driftwood, and find some matching rocks. i would like to have half the tank bare bottom and the left and right sides with sand. i want to do this because riccia is not a root growing plant and doesnt need sand under it to grow into. i will just be adding a big piece of mesh so it can weave in and out of it. riccia will be my foreground, on the left side i will have Giant hairgrass mixed with riccia laying over a zen rockscape, and on the right i will have a big forest with crypts and giant hairgrass. the tank has 2 55watt bulbs on top so it will be 2 watts per gallon. i will also suplement the tank with Co2 that i found in my garage (my dad planned on setting up a 200 gal with Co2 but we moved before he finished so there is a bunch of equiptment laying around). The fish that will be in the tank will be: 10 skunk cories, 10 rummy nose tetras, 2 ctenopoma, and this is where i get stuck... should i add 2-3 angelfish, more ctenos, or something else completly? i would like some suggestions on what other fish i could add to make this tank beutiful. there wont be to many hiding spots, and the ones there are will be closely guarded by the ctenos. so something free swimming, maybe a school of rainbows. i want something different, not just an average "yeah seen it already" kind of deal.

Angel079 05-09-2010 06:15 AM

Uh that sounds like a extremely nice set up can't wait to see it...

Now I'm lil confused, but its also early in the AM here lol....You have Rummy's there and wanna add Boseman's Rainbows - What's your pH/KH there cause they have rather opposite needs on water?

I can only judge from my guys, my Rainbows and my Rummy's; the Rummy's are rather skiddish as is even in a 100% Tetra set up, added to that my hyperactive Rainbows I think my Rummy's would die of a heart attach, so pers I'd not add them 2 in 1 set up, what does real well (for me) with the Rainbows is Zebra Danios. BUT all that said your tank, your choices :-)

teddyzaper 05-09-2010 11:04 AM

thanks for the info, ive never tried my rummys with anything else other then ctenos, and they are really calm.

i can change my PH to make it whatever i want with my Co2, i found this set up that tells the Co2 bubble maker how many bubbles to make acording to my ph, so if i want a pH of around 7.4 or 7.0 then i can set it acordingly and it will put as many bubbles as i need in the tank.

Going to petco today to get some airline tubing and maybe some other goodies :P

Angel079 05-10-2010 06:29 AM

Fully agreed you can amend any parameters BUT...Rummy's need pH 5-7 and Boeseman's pH 7-8...so then you'd find yourself adjusting your parameters at the very HIGH end for the Rummy's and the very LOW end for the Boeseman's and long term I'm not sure you'll do yourself (the fish) a favor there as far as behavior AND needs.

spoot 05-13-2010 11:01 AM

If you are comfortable tinkering with your PH you might can pull it off depending on where you parameters are out of the tap. Definitely going to need to keep it above 6.5 and below 7.5 for best results. What does your water test (hardness and ph) out of the tap? Trying to change PH can result in disaster. More importantly than having the perfect PH is to avoid swings. So if you test at an 8 for instance even if you have the tank conditioned at a 7 with CO2, it will swing back up once you do a major water change and slowly go back down. Also, if your water is very hard, (10+) it's going to be difficult to change even with CO. IMO fish need stability more than a perfect setting, so if you test already between a 6.5 and 7.5 you should be ok. Just use drip acclimation and monitor for stress once they are introduced. If you are much outside that, I would look for fish more in your taps range.
Posted via Mobile Device

teddyzaper 05-18-2010 10:17 AM

i have 7.4 ph and i remember that my hardness is pretty low (forgot the exact number). i was thinking just bring it down to 7.0 and do a water change of around 10% twice a week. just my thought though. i cant figure out how this PH meter hooks up to my bubble counter/psi measurer. although i did figure out how the diffuser and the bubble counter connect. ill post pics later i gtg to school.

jeaninel 05-18-2010 02:58 PM

Sounds like a nice set up. Just a note on the rainbows, At one time I had 3 male Boesemani in with my cteno as well as some Congo tetras and cories. The rainbow's hyperactivity and constant showing off to each other seemed to stress my cteno. As much as I loved the beautiful Boesemani I decided to rehomed them. Spook (my Cteno) and the other fish seemed much happier. I currently have 7 Congo tetra and a couple Pearl gouramis with the cteno.

teddyzaper 05-20-2010 12:13 AM

oooh i might look into some gouramis, although i do want to get 2 angelfish.