Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Suggestions for stocking new fishes! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/suggestions-stocking-new-fishes-4258/)

saxenamohitm 03-15-2007 01:03 PM

Suggestions for stocking new fishes!

Hey there!!
I at present have the following fishes in my 60 gallon tank...
4 dollars
3 angels
4 mollies
2 plecos

I wanna add some more fast swimming fishes (preferrably those which swim in schools)
I also wanna add some plants and i know dollars might create a problem so i also need some suggestions about conditioning my dollars to mebbe eat normal veggies (if i have to feed them) and leave my plants alone...I had 3 goldies too but i gave them up just a few days back to prepare my tank for plants...

Also please temme how many fishes can i safely add to the tank without overcrowding it! my tank still feels pretty empty!

musho3210 03-15-2007 04:36 PM

Re: Suggestions for stocking new fishes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxenamohitm
Hey there!!
I at present have the following fishes in my 60 gallon tank...
4 dollars
3 angels
4 mollies
2 plecos

I wanna add some more fast swimming fishes (preferrably those which swim in schools)
I also wanna add some plants and i know dollars might create a problem so i also need some suggestions about conditioning my dollars to mebbe eat normal veggies (if i have to feed them) and leave my plants alone...I had 3 goldies too but i gave them up just a few days back to prepare my tank for plants...

Also please temme how many fishes can i safely add to the tank without overcrowding it! my tank still feels pretty empty!

hmm im guessing those plecos are common plecs, if they are you cant fit any more fish since they will grow out of the 60 gallon needing at least a 75 gallon. The dollars are a schooling fish so if you get 2 more then theres your school.

Lupin 03-15-2007 10:06 PM

Javan ferns are one of the few plants that can escape the taste from herbivorous fish.:)

6 silver dollars is going to push the 60 gallons so stick to 4 only considering you have also 3 angels. I would suggest concentrating on the surface dwellers instead of adding any more mid dwellers. Try panchax. Being almost 4-5 inches, they are also great insectivores.:)

saxenamohitm 03-16-2007 01:52 PM

Hey thanx for the reply!

I actually have sucker fish which are not more than 4 inches (at the max) and these guys r growing pretty slowly if at all they r growing...

The other tank mates too are pretty small in size...

i looked up on the net for panchax and i found them to be quite huge..plus i'm not sure i'll be able to find them easily here in india..

I've taken note bout java fern and i would love to know about other plants!!
(i actually wanted dwarf hairgrass to be the carpet..dunno how the dollars r gonna handle it)

PLease suggest me some schooling fishes that i can add along with the max number of fishes i can stock in my tank (4ft*2ft*1ft approx 60 gallons)

musho3210 03-16-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxenamohitm
Hey thanx for the reply!

I actually have sucker fish which are not more than 4 inches (at the max) and these guys r growing pretty slowly if at all they r growing...

The other tank mates too are pretty small in size...

i looked up on the net for panchax and i found them to be quite huge..plus i'm not sure i'll be able to find them easily here in india..

I've taken note bout java fern and i would love to know about other plants!!
(i actually wanted dwarf hairgrass to be the carpet..dunno how the dollars r gonna handle it)

PLease suggest me some schooling fishes that i can add along with the max number of fishes i can stock in my ank (4ft*2ft*1ft approx 60 gallons)

with 60 gallons and double filtration you can fit around 70 inches of full body mass of fish (very basic, you need to look into the fish as well).

So with silver dollars its about 6" long and 2" tall so in total 8" mass, 8 times 4 you get 32 inches. Angelfish, not counting the tails, 5" plus 2 inch, 7 inch times 3 is 21, 21 plus 32 is 53 inches. Add 4 4 inch mollies, 24 inches, 24 inches plus 53 inches, 77 inches, plus 2 24 inch plecos is 48 inches, thats 77 plus 48 inches which is 125 inches. So right now you are aprox 55 inches over-stocked

now there might be problems with what i said, your plecos might not be common and might be smaller versions which would cut down how many inches, also the things i wrote are maximum size so theres a high chance they will be a bit smaller than what i told you. Also using the inch rule is so very basic so it is 75% of the time incorrect, it was just the only stocking way i could think of.

The Dude 03-17-2007 01:35 PM

I agree with the person who said get some surface dwellers. I suggest a small school of hatchetfish.