Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   could i have 2 swortails in my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/could-i-have-2-swortails-my-42579/)

fryup 05-08-2010 06:24 AM

could i have 2 swortails in my tank

i have 2 platy 3 male guppies and 1 honey gourami i think my tanks around 60L-70L...:):):):)

biokid101 05-08-2010 09:55 AM

60L here is 15 gallons soo...70L is almost18 gallons here... i would say....yea go for it! it wont get populated that fast cause u have 3 male guppies only and only one female platy...r u getting one male and one female swordtail?

Mister Sparkle 05-08-2010 02:03 PM

Platys and swords will hybridize. I would advise against it.

Austin 05-08-2010 02:59 PM

I would advise against it after going to the fish store yesterday and seeing literally 4 inch swordtails. They get pretty large.

Mister Sparkle 05-08-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 379718)
I would advise against it after going to the fish store yesterday and seeing literally 4 inch swordtails. They get pretty large.

I've done swords in 15 gallons...heck, just look at the tank under "my aquariums" in my avatar thingy here.

fryup 05-09-2010 03:18 AM

Well I only have 1 male platy left as my female died 2 days ago and my LCD stopes selling platys and now sell swordtail .....I was planning on geting a male and a prego female :):):)... I think I will get they coz I have the room and I didn't know they could hybridize :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 05-09-2010 03:41 AM

Although the swordtails and platys both preferr same basic hard water with same cool temps say,, 74 to 76 degrees F ,The swordtails really need more room than 15 gal. they are active swimmers and need the room.
They are also very good jumpers.

Mister Sparkle 05-09-2010 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 380128)
Although the swordtails and platys both preferr same basic hard water with same cool temps say,, 74 to 76 degrees F ,The swordtails really need more room than 15 gal. they are active swimmers and need the room.
They are also very good jumpers.

Pshaw! They do fine in 15-gallons. Just ask Sea World!

fryup 05-09-2010 04:17 AM

my tank is covered with a plastic sheet then the tank lid...no chance of them jumping and im only wanting 2.....dont you think just 2 will be ok in my tank :):):)

1077 05-09-2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryup (Post 380149)
my tank is covered with a plastic sheet then the tank lid...no chance of them jumping and im only wanting 2.....dont you think just 2 will be ok in my tank :):):)

When small perhaps. Adult swordtails can reach nearly four and a half inches including the tail and assuming you wish them to reach this size,, a longer tank would be more suitable.
Have kept them since I was a small boy and in the absence of numerous females, they can be aggressive towards tank mates. A small male and female may get along for a while in your tank but when breeding activity by the male begins,the female will be pestered to death along with possibly other tankmates and a larger tank provides some,albeit little relief . Floating plants on the surface either live,or artificial can also help.
Personally wouldn't keep Swordtails in anything smaller than 20 gal ,and longer tank would be my choice over taller.
Always somebody who will tell you what you want to hear if you look long enough. The fact that there are those who keep these particular fish in smaller tanks does not in my view hold much value.
Folks still keep goldfish in bowls:roll:
Don't take my word. google info on ..."proper tank size for Xiphophorus hellerii' I think you will find more who recommend larger tanks as opposed to smaller. As stated ,these are active swimmers and they need room along with moderate current in my view to do well in the long term.
Do also keep in mind that two males of this species will NOT get along and if male and female are your aim. then the 15 gal can quickly be overun with fry.