Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking 10g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-10g-42575/)

Retrospekt 05-08-2010 12:50 AM

Stocking 10g

I have a 10g tank with a 5-15 biofilter on it. About 2-3 inches of gravel on the bottom and some cheap plastic plants in it. I have 2 goldfish in there right now but I have been told they are too big for the tank and I should give them away if I am unable to upgrade.

I was thinking of doing 7 or so neon tetra's. I like colorful, lively fish. My question is: Am I able to add anything else in with the tetra's? A little variety would be nice. Or is my tank too small for anything else for the tetra's? If I can add anything, what should I be looking at?

Also, what is a recommended environment for the tetra's? Do I need wood logs or anything like that, or live plants?

Thanks.

Greedy 05-08-2010 03:39 AM

some shrimp? they are pretty funny to watch :D

Austin 05-08-2010 11:32 AM

Live plants and driftwood is nice in a tetra tank. I'm not positive, but I believe driftwood can make the water more acidic. Plants are nice in any tank but look great with neon tetras. :) It will make it more nice and natural for them.

Now going back to drift wood. It also looks nice and is more natural. Also if it does make the water more acidic (which im pretty sure it does), neon tetras like a lower PH of around 6-7 I believe. (below PH 7 = acidic).

They prefer soft water over hard water.... but I've had some in my hard water and they do ok. They will just be much happier in softer water probably.

If you have hard water theres some things you can do to soften it up. Some tiny machine things to attach to the tap I think, or something else. I'll let someone else go into this if need be....

Also if you get some blue/red neon tetras you could also try some black ones for variety. ^_^ Or a different kind of tetra to go along with the neons. I can't think of anything else atm. You could get some shrimp probably too they are fun. :)

redchigh 05-08-2010 11:47 AM

Austin's right, neons would probably be okay, but they tend to be sensitive fish.

Livebearers will often work well in a 10G if your water is hard and basic. I'd probably go with guppies, but make sure you get all males. They will QUICKLY overpopulate the tank if you have mixed sexes.

For acidic waters, you can try many of the small tetras- neons, ember tetras, and black neons come to mind, along with perhaps celestial pearl danios (AKA galaxy rasbora).

You could even get a dwarf puffer. Of course, it might be kind of boring since they're not particularly colorful...

Maybe some Badis Badis would work, they're extremely colorful.

If you go with the tetras or livebearers, you can add shrimp or a CPO as well.

teddyzaper 05-08-2010 11:56 AM

you could add some colorful snails, shrimp, maybe corries (wouldnt recomend it) some tetras, or a betta with some shrimp and snails would be beutiful. i like what austin said about live plants and soem driftwood. live plants will also act as a mini filter and they have them everywhere (even at petco, but they overprice a bit). check out this site, called aquabid if you wanna buy live plants, great deals, sometimes free shipping. its like ebay for aquariums.... as for some rarer and different fish, you could go some small species of pencilfish, one of the species is the smallest species in the aquarium world. although these arent sold normaly at stores, it your willing to pay shipping you can get high quality ones only. you could also add ottos, they are little sucker fish that will eat algea, i think 4 or so of those would be great in a 10gal tank.

Mister Sparkle 05-08-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 379638)
Live plants and driftwood is nice in a tetra tank. I'm not positive, but I believe driftwood can make the water more acidic. Plants are nice in any tank but look great with neon tetras. :) It will make it more nice and natural for them.

Now going back to drift wood. It also looks nice and is more natural. Also if it does make the water more acidic (which im pretty sure it does), neon tetras like a lower PH of around 6-7 I believe. (below PH 7 = acidic).

They prefer soft water over hard water.... but I've had some in my hard water and they do ok. They will just be much happier in softer water probably.
:)

Neons are a lot more tolerant of pH and hardness than most other tetras. They can handle up to pH 8 without a problem, as long as water QUALITY is good. They do not handle the N's very well at all.

It's Cardinal tetras that are really sensitive to pH. :-)

iamntbatman 05-10-2010 05:04 AM

You could do a nice group of cories along with the neons. Black neons would work too but as they're a different species of fish they won't school with the "regular" neons so you'd need an appropriate size school of each (not really feasible in a 10g, so you should probably just stick with one species of tetra).

The Badis badis that were suggested are cool fish as well; I wouldn't suggest keeping them with small fish like neons, though, as they'd probably view them as food (my big male managed to eat a couple of zebra danios that were supposed to be his tankmates).