Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is this the correct? Water change etiquette? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/correct-water-change-etiquette-42497/)

TexasTanker 05-06-2010 03:55 PM

Is this the correct? Water change etiquette?
 
I usually change 10% every week. The "specialist" at the LFS said that's all I need with live plants. She never clarified how many plants would help the bioload, etc. Anyhow, after reading here, I've decided to do a larger water change. I usually, fill a five gallon bucket, treat it, heat it, and run it on a filter until I need the water for a change. Given what was explained to be about shocking and stressing the fish, this seemed the most logical approach. A different "specialist" said that was overkill for a little ten gallon tank.... which would feel the effects much more readily than a larger tank... to my reasoning. Anyhow, now i'm wondering, is it overkill to put pretreated and heated water in or would they not know the difference between that and treated fresh tap water?

Given that my plants moved, I plan on doing larger changes more often til my horwort arrives. How much is enough for ten gallons of hard, 7.5 PH, almost alkeline water?

TexasTanker 05-06-2010 04:07 PM

Question # 2 Back Drop
 
I'm debating back drops for what my mother has deemed the "Goofy Texas Tank". My pallet o plants is in, I'm going to pick those up. So now it's time to debate back drop. I like the idea of reflective backing because it gives the illusion of more space. I'm not sure how that would set with the fishies though. My other thought was plain blue or black. Are any better than others? It is a tall tank and I use the area behind there as storage so I'd really rather not leave it open.

zof 05-06-2010 06:51 PM

The best back drop is obvious..... a giant picture of the Alamo :D


ooooo and you could get one of those plastic six shooters from the toy section as decoration!!!


Sorry I couldn't resist.

Byron 05-06-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 378603)
I usually change 10% every week. The "specialist" at the LFS said that's all I need with live plants. She never clarified how many plants would help the bioload, etc. Anyhow, after reading here, I've decided to do a larger water change. I usually, fill a five gallon bucket, treat it, heat it, and run it on a filter until I need the water for a change. Given what was explained to be about shocking and stressing the fish, this seemed the most logical approach. A different "specialist" said that was overkill for a little ten gallon tank.... which would feel the effects much more readily than a larger tank... to my reasoning. Anyhow, now i'm wondering, is it overkill to put pretreated and heated water in or would they not know the difference between that and treated fresh tap water?

Given that my plants moved, I plan on doing larger changes more often til my horwort arrives. How much is enough for ten gallons of hard, 7.5 PH, almost alkeline water?

On the heat, is there a reason you don't use water from the hot and cold taps to avoid having to heat the replacement water? I have always ran water straight from the taps into the tank at approximately the same temperature [a degree or two either way is not going to hurt most fish, but there are some exceptions]. I squirt in the conditioner as it starts to fill. But I have large tanks and need to use a Python, so this is the only way. As long as the parameters (pH and hardness) between the tank and tap water are reasonably close, this works fine.

The volume of the water change depends upon the needs of the system. The more and larger the fish, the more essential it is to change more water regularly, at least once a week. I have planted aquaria but I still do 50% water changes every week. With heavily planted tanks, and provided the fish load is minimal, fewer water changes are required. The fish determine these.

Byron.

tanker 05-06-2010 07:43 PM

As for backdrops, I bought one that had black on one side and blue (graduating from very dark on the bottom to darkish on the top) on the other. I put both up and thought that the black made the tanks look smaller than the blue (I have 35 and 75 litre, approx 9 and 20 US gallons). The blue seemed to me to give more an illusion of depth than the black side.

JohnnyD44 05-06-2010 07:58 PM

Good point made by Byron about the water changes and being dependent on the stocking and size of the stock in your tank.

I too have a planted tank, and I keep many smaller fish, and I'm not where near capacity, I do about a 30% water change every week. I too use the same method Byron, using a siphon to drain my tank and long tube, connected to my faucet and I temper the water as close as the human hand can tell....

As for the backdrop, I use to have the same blue backdrop as mentioned by tanker (weird we have two 'tanker's...haha)...and I noticed when I switched to my current black background I don't regret it for a minute. The black background with the darker colored gravel really, really make the green of the plants 'pop' so to speak and bring great contrast with the colors of the fish.

I would steer clear of any sort of "reflector" back ground, keep in mind most of the fish we keep come from streams and creeks/rivers, where it's naturally 'darker'...before I made the transformation to my planted aquaria, I had crystals and white gravel in my tank. It was very bright and I did some research found that my fish didn't care for it, so out it went.

What plants did you end up ordering? Have you thought about what lighting you're going to use??

TexasTanker 05-06-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 378736)
On the heat, is there a reason you don't use water from the hot and cold taps to avoid having to heat the replacement water? I have always ran water straight from the taps into the tank at approximately the same temperature [a

:oops: I don't use water from the hot tap because I've seen the inside of a hot water heater up close and personal.... Its NASTY. My rule of thumb is that hot water is for bathing, not consuming. Perhaps it's an odd paranoia (read phobia) but I feel better knowing they're not swimming in it.

FishFancy 05-06-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 378736)
I squirt in the conditioner as it starts to fill. But I have large tanks and need to use a Python, so this is the only way. As long as the parameters (pH and hardness) between the tank and tap water are reasonably close, this works fine.

Byron.

Hi Byron, not to hijack a thread but I wanted to verify something, are you squirting the conditioner in the tank and then adding water straight from the tap to the tank with the python? no worries for chlorine? Just asking because I just inherited a 55 GAL (WhooHoo!) and water changes are a little bit of concern with me, I struggle with carrying 2 5-Gal buckets to clean the 26-gal tank I have (Sad I know, I am a wimp though).

JohnnyD44 05-07-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishFancy (Post 378826)
Hi Byron, not to hijack a thread but I wanted to verify something, are you squirting the conditioner in the tank and then adding water straight from the tap to the tank with the python? no worries for chlorine? Just asking because I just inherited a 55 GAL (WhooHoo!) and water changes are a little bit of concern with me, I struggle with carrying 2 5-Gal buckets to clean the 26-gal tank I have (Sad I know, I am a wimp though).

thats exactly what I do....add the conditioner and then add the water right from the tap via plastic tubing screwed into the faucet....

TexasTanker 05-07-2010 09:18 AM

What I do.... For the 55 Gallon. I have two 5 Gallon buckets under the tank in the cabinet. I use my hose to fill those. I treat that water, and keep a little filter in each. That way whenever I need to change water, It's ready. Then, when I change water I siphen out of the tank, directly out the window of the house (the dog loves it), Then I use a hose with a pump on it to pull the water from the two buckets into the tank. No lifting, no spillage.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2