Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Heater, Heaters, or Heating? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/heater-heaters-heating-42479/)

TexasTanker 05-06-2010 11:22 AM

Heater, Heaters, or Heating?

In my new 55 Gallon set up I purchased an Aqueon heater for 30-55 gallon tanks. I must have gotten a busted one cause the light just flashes on and off for no particular reason and the water hasn't heated to the designated 78 degrees that I set it for. I will be returning it. My question is, Should I go with a "55 gallon" heater or should I over shoot and get the 70 gallon one? Or should I get two and put them at opposite ends? With just one I was going to have it next to the intake/output area. You may be able to see that in my picture. Is that okay or should it be further away? What would you recommend for a 55 gallon tropical tank.

LisaC144 05-06-2010 12:53 PM

I keep two 150w heaters on my 55g tank. One at each end.

aunt kymmie 05-06-2010 01:08 PM

+1. I keep two 300W heaters on my 100gl. Always good to have two heaters in case one fails.

scalar 05-06-2010 02:34 PM

i keep three 300w in my 180g and 2 150w in my 55 like said above 2 is better than one.if u plug the heater in before it gets time to ajust to the temp of your tank it breaks the thermastat allow 15min before pluging it in.

TexasTanker 05-06-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalar (Post 378570)
if u plug the heater in before it gets time to ajust to the temp of your tank it breaks the thermastat allow 15min before pluging it in.

I did not know that! Lesson learned, thank you.

rsn48 05-08-2010 12:54 PM

Heaters, generally are low tech devices, though I've never heard of letting the heater warm up to water temperatures for 15 minutes, I am skeptical of this as a thermostat is a simple on and off device. The dials of heaters generally should be ignored when setting temperature. Sometimes the heater will be lower than what is set (eg. heater set at 78 and temp is 75) or higher than what is set (eg. heater is set at 76 but water stays at 79).

As long as your heater holds the water consistently, then adjust upwards or downwards based on your independent thermometer temperature. If you are paranoid (I am) use two thermometers.

If your heater is submersible, try not to have the heater up and down - vertical - like this "l"; instead set it at an angle like this "/". The heat will rise upwards and the thermostat reads the temperature as the heat is heated upwards, thus a false reading of surrounding water. At an angle the heated water will rise, but miss (mostly) the thermostat which is often at the top of the heater, but the same applies if the thermostat is at the bottom of the heater.

iamntbatman 05-10-2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsn48 (Post 379679)
Heaters, generally are low tech devices, though I've never heard of letting the heater warm up to water temperatures for 15 minutes, I am skeptical of this as a thermostat is a simple on and off device.

The reason some heaters tell you to do this is to avoid the glass shattering due to rapid temperature change.

zof 05-10-2010 07:39 PM

I bought a Aqueon tank kit that of course came with a heater that I assume is Aqueon brand and I've a temp issue with it, I have the heater set to 72 and my tank stays 77-79. When I first plugged it in I had it set at 78 and the water temp was constantly in the mid 80's needless to say when I get money to buy a new heater it will not be an Aqueon. But at least this one will make a good back up heater, if i remember the temp difference :-/

TexasTanker 05-10-2010 08:59 PM

lol i have the aqueon that came with my 10g tank and it always right on. I have a Tetra and a Jager for my 55 gallon and neither can keep the water warm enough, alone or together.