Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Shell fish allergies and shell fish keeping (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/shell-fish-allergies-shell-fish-keeping-42471/)

TexasTanker 05-06-2010 10:21 AM

Shell fish allergies and shell fish keeping
 
I have heard a lot of positive feedback about keeping invertebrates. This sounds very neat and I'm very tempted, however I'm deathly allergic to shell fish. Even skin contact with their oils has affected me. BUT I live on the coast and it is near impossible to go anywhere without a potential exposure (try having a reaction at walmart while shopping for a vacuum). I've developed some safety precautions for day to day life and have since been issue free.

My question is, does anyone else have this problem and still keep them? Are the inverts ya'll are talking about even in the same realm as the edible shell fish I'm talking about? (I've never had this come up before) Would all the water be hazardous or would it just be contact?

iamntbatman 05-11-2010 06:53 AM

This is a really good question.

Are you allergic to all types of shellfish, or just stuff like shrimp, crabs and lobsters? Can you eat escargot?

TexasTanker 05-11-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 381621)
This is a really good question.

Are you allergic to all types of shellfish, or just stuff like shrimp, crabs and lobsters? Can you eat escargot?

I have what I refer to as hospital allergies. When I was 11 I was hopsitalized for several months and developed and still have an allergy to bleach, latex, Tide detergent, and iodine. Go figure.

Snails seem okay. I have had reactions to shrimp, lobster, & crab. Interestingly, I have not had a reaction to crawdads. Another twist. I can withstand processed meats from these guys, with only mild reaction to ingestion, and none to skin contact.

In the past I've had reactions to fish as well but I've handled all manner in the past few months with no issue. I've summed up past experiences to sloppy food handling.

I'm really just curious to see if anyone else has similar aversions to some tank guests but still keep them. I'm willing to take a calculated risk, if I can manage the possible contaminants. My plan B was to ask the LFS if I could hold one of their shrimp.... then rub it on my arm and see what happens. I'll probably settle for more research and check my records to see what exactly prompts the reaction.

aunt kymmie 05-11-2010 12:51 PM

Lobster, crab, etc. come from the ocean. If you've had no reaction to snails or crawdads (freshwater, I assume) than maybe your allergies are due to ocean critters and not freshwater inverts. Just a thought...

You have allergies to bleach, latex, Tide detergent, iodine, etc? Lucky you, you'll never have to do any housecleaning!

TexasTanker 05-11-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 381773)
You have allergies to bleach, latex, Tide detergent, iodine, etc? Lucky you, you'll never have to do any housecleaning!

Yeah, that arguement doesn't work. Believe me I tried. Vinyl gloves, liquid All, and elbow grease... I'd rather be able to use Comet and all those easy cleaners. It doesn't even work when avoiding the doctor. :-(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2