Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Annubias losing leaves (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/annubias-losing-leaves-42469/)

bones14 05-06-2010 08:57 AM

Annubias losing leaves

My new anubias nana narrowleaf is losing its leaves from the base;stem and all.I've seen the gouramis pecking around it a little bit but not actually eating.Will the leaves grow back or is it a goner?

Byron 05-06-2010 12:25 PM

Can you post a photo? Gourami would browse plant leaves but not actually eat them like this, so it is a plant issue but a photo would help pin it down.

Also, please provide some info:
how is the anubias planted?
tank light (type, watts, duration on daily...)
liquid or substrate fertilizer, if yes, which one(s)
any floating plants?

Byron.

bones14 05-07-2010 01:41 PM

Didn't have time to get pics.I had to work last night and when I got home there was pretty much only the roots left tied to the dw.I removed them when I did my w/c.I've got one 6500k bulb and one aqua-glo.They run 10 hrs a day.I also use Flourish Comprehensive.All of the other plants seem to be doing just fine after just over a week of being planted.Iwas only running the 6500k when the anubias started losing leaves.

Angel079 05-07-2010 07:41 PM

Even if you only have roots left it will grow back, provided good conditions.

Over what size tanks are you running these lights? What size (T8, T12 etc) and what's the wattage?

Austin 05-08-2010 10:12 AM

Annubias like low light or shade by other plants... not an expert, but maybe you could have given it too much intensity.

Byron 05-08-2010 12:59 PM

Yes, given your other info I am thinking the light is too much for Anubias. Mine develops yellowing leaves unless it is under cover of other plants (floating or large leaf shade). Without a photo this is the best I can suggest.

Byron.

bones14 05-08-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 379359)
Even if you only have roots left it will grow back, provided good conditions.

Over what size tanks are you running these lights? What size (T8, T12 etc) and what's the wattage?

I assumed it was done for.Guess I'll just have chalk one up for experience.I'll replace it though.It was one of my favorites.This is the first planted tank I've done.First plants of any kind that I've tried to grow for that matter;so it's learn as I go just like everybody else I guess.

bones14 05-08-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 379613)
Annubias like low light or shade by other plants... not an expert, but maybe you could have given it too much intensity.

I thought that too so I've gone back to just the 20 watt/6500k single tube.