Tropical Fish Keeping banner

5 Gallon Hood

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Zeetrain 
#1 ·
Ive seen some posts about making a hood out of plexi glass and using a piano hings for it but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of being able to make a hood and some sort of light fixture that could go on top of it. Any ideas?

#2 ·
for a 5 gallon? i would personally cut a thick piece of plexi to size and drill a hole for you to lift it and any notches you may need for wires filter etc... then use a clamp on light fixture. ... they have some good looking ones at Home depot or wally....

#3 ·
Yea, what Im doing is my girlfriend has a 5 gallon that she wants to split and have her two male bettas on either side. I wanted to make a top so they couldnt hop into the otherside and also so that she could put a light on it. What type of bulb would you suggest if she used a clamp on? Shes not gonna have any plants in it.

#7 ·
So me and my Dad made a divider and a hood out of plexiglass. We cut the plexiglass with a knife and used a drill to make the holes. We also used GE silicon 1 to hold the divider in place. Its not perfect, but Im happy with it.

Attachments

#13 ·
I got it at Home Depot
Very nice looking hood, may have to make one of my own for the G/F's Tank, what was the approx cost of the project?
Thanks. I only bought plexiglass and silicon and I believe it cost me just under $15 and I still have almost the whole tube of silicon left for future projects. I already had the tools to do the project though.

A side note - the hood bows a little bit now, but it doesnt effect anything negatively. There is a light on top of it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.